Some help please - team chemistry vs individual talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Final cuts at this time of year are always difficult. We have one spot to fill and basically two girls (there are more but they don't have as much talent) challenging for it. One of the girls has been on this team acouple years ago in 16U and is a reasonably good player but an excellent team mate. Always does what is asked etc and accepts her role that when it comes down to it, she probably won't be one of the 9 on the field. The other is a new girl from a neighboring town but brings with her a kind of "edge". She has been somewhat rude at the tryouts that she has been at but at this age (18U) is she trying to assert herself? The "leaders" on the team have spoken to me and expressed their thoughts. They understand that the coaches have the last say but felt that they had to let me know of their feelings about this second girl.

The second girl brings more talent, but the attitude (that I have witnessed when she played with another team) might be enough to upset the chemistry of the team which is excellent. This girl isn't so good that she makes the difference between winning a national or not, but is significantly more talented than the other.

So my question to the coaches on the forum is this........Would you sacrifice a known for an unknown? Would you sacrifice team chemistry for one kid with more talent? How do you rate chemistry vs talent? I have coached teams (basically this one in 16U) that was limited in talent, but came a long way with being a team and feeding off another's success thereby breeding more success. At 17-18 yoa that is difficult to achieve though as the girls bring a totally different dynamic to the field.

Softball is a team sport and therefore I have to weight the consideration in that favor but the talent difference is that clear. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Doesn't matter what the talent level is if the girls on the team are already unhappy with her. More so in the upper age groups because they will find something else to do instead of softball if they are not happy. When your an a$$ to your teammates, they won't give the extra effort, groundballs get through the infield, throws are off-line, and communication is lacking.

Even seen it during BB, I knew a pitcher who would "get all over" his teammates if they made an error (and I mean in a very bad way), Coaches did nothing because he threw pretty hard. Ironically, almost every game he pitched the team would commit at least 6-10 errors. I know because I pitched behind him, and the team would only commit maybe 1 error when I was on the mound (and I wasn't very good, lol).

I guess what I'm saying is team chemistry is huge.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Always does what is asked etc and accepts her role that when it comes down to it, she probably won't be one of the 9 on the field. ... The "leaders" on the team have spoken to me and expressed their thoughts.

The "leaders" prefer a girl who has no chance to take any of their playing time (PT) away from them? Wow, who would have guessed that? Are you sure the "leaders" aren't pushing your buttons to eliminate a competitor? If you take a new girl, they will lose PT. If you stay with the old girl, they keep playing.

Before I could offer an opinion, I would have to know what you mean by "attitude" and "rude". You give no examples. Is she, like CoachKevin's example, an insufferable egomaniac? Or, is she a no-nonsense kid who doesn't care about protocol but pushes herself and everyone on the team to do better?

At this particular age (18U), IMHO, it is time for the girls to get more business-like and "professional" about the team. I.e., they don't have to like their teammates. They do have to show respect and civility.

Ultimately, this is a matter of degree. If the girl is simply loud and pushy, I would take her. If the girl is a psycho, I wouldn't.

You may want to spend some more time with her and find out if the new girl has a sense of humor.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Dd's team went through this last year. Coaches brought on 2 players mid-season.. The girls said yes to one and absolutely no to the other. The coaches brought on both, telling the girls it was their team to coach and their decision to make. Never saw team morale crumble so quickly. That practice with the two new players you'd have thought was their last. the team went from a top first year u14 team to nothing. They struggled the rest of the season, were mentally dead at practices and lost their joy of the game.

Poison can ruin anything good, respect the girl's opinion, sounds like they've already decided it's not about winning if they can't enjoy the season.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sluggers - great point. The girl isn't any more competitive than the others, but has a "cocky attitude". I'm not even sure if she tries as hard as she can. She certainly didn't hustle as much as others (who have already been offered postions) at the tryout. Almost like she has sized up the competition and figures she will be offered the spot. Her rudeness was directed specifically at a player (who is not caucasion) and was made about the other player's perceived talent (batting practice I was throwing statement made "well this is going to take a while"). In an earlier tryout the same girl was pitching batting practice so I could see what she had in the way of pitching which wasn't much good. Statement made by the "new girl" (first time out) "is that as good as you are?" directly to the player. I really don't care if girls question other players' talent, but do it to the coach, not the players themselves. Perception can be reality and if comments are taken the wrong way teenage girls can be relentless (and nasty just in case people didn't know - I have three teenage daughters-yikes!).

This kid would not be the best on the team by any stretch, but does bring some talent - more than the other girls left trying out. If the girls on the team aren't going to accept her though (she would not take any of the positions of the "leaders" that spoke with me) does the new girl shut down and start not making plays?

I am not asking you folks to make my decision - just help with your experience and comments. This will be the last year for many of these girls, at least being together. Although I want the team to be as competive as possible, I don't want to ruin their season either.

Apr 9, 2012
To me it sounds like a question of coachability which the attitude is proving she is not. I can teach those that want to be taught-talented or not. I cant help those with poor attitudes.

That and for teenage girls attitude is contagious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06