Solo Practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Any suggestions for drills or other practice techniques that can be done alone? My DD (14) will hit off a tee sometimes or use a Hit-Away, but I'd like to have other useful things that she can do when she doesn't have anyone else to practice with.

Don

Oct 25, 2009
You will be much better off if you can post a video of her swing. There are hundreds of things you can practice solo but if it isn't right you will only ingrain bad habits.

But if you can't, tee work is probably the best. Especially long tee (hitting the ball to the outfield). Middle, inside, outside, high, low, middle.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you have a driveway and concrete , Bustos does one called the bounce drill. She holds the ball out and high and drops it and it will bounce different each time, She hits if after it bounces up off the concrete. My dd takes a bucket of balls and does this when she gets bored of hitting off the T. I do agree with the above post, and why I'm not a fan of the Hit-Away. I think when they hit they must be doing it to improve, not just swinging a bat.

May 31, 2009
The "Ultimate Hitting Machine" is a good hitting aid kids can use by themselves. They can get a lot of swing reps in daily... hitting a moving ball. Easy and fun to use and requires no batteries or electricity to operate.

May 31, 2009
I have seen "the Ultimate Hitting Machine" in numerous spots. Is this a good soft toss machine? I need to buy one, and can't justify $360 for a wheeler dealer.

The coaches and parents that I know that have purchased this machine really like it. It's user friendly and kids seem to never get bored using it. The best price for this machine is on this web site. Beebe Sports Inc.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Swinging in a mirror is a good way for her to see in real time (vs. video) what her swing is doing as she feels it. Have her look into the mirror from both the head-on and open side angles. It's also a great way for her to develop the ability to quiet down her head movement while taking full, game-speed swings.

Some players also look at their shadow if a mirror is not readily available. :)

Oct 14, 2008
Hitting off of a tee at 3 levels is a lot of work. Inside outside and up the middle. Tee in the highest position, middle and lowest position. 20 balls per your looking at 180 swings. We also use the whip hit for up the middle. High and middle positions so your looking at another 80 swings. so about 260 to 300 swings for 30 to 45 minutes tee work will keep anyone busy and they will feel like they have worked out.

When shes has advanced then put on the edge weighted gloves for the work out. Do this 3 days a week It will pay off in huge dividends.

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We use the mirrors and the three level /position T. The dd also uses the Edge Gloves. The mirror is in our inside practice /training area. Plus she has batting cages three days a week, since we use of the indoor high school field house practice facility. She goes there with 4 other players that work out together.

Sep 29, 2010
If she is going to work on her own, make sure she is practicing in ways that she can be self accountable or like others have said she will just go out there and ingrain bad habits.

Jim's suggestion of taking swings in a mirror is a real good one. Also, as was mentioned I would have her doing a lot of Long T. You really only need wiffle balls, a T and a net. You can even work inside and outside locations in this position just by reposition yourself to the tee to simulate the different positions. The goal of course being to hit line drives into the net.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi