Softball Skirt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
On the field opposite of where my daughter was playing last week, the left fielder was wearing something that I could only describe as a skirt. She was wearing softball pants, and on top of that was the "skirt" made from the same material as her pants, coming down below her knees.

I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, it is just something new to me. Anybody here have experience with this? Is this more common in other areas of the country? I didn't get to see her make a play or run the bases, so I don't know if it hindered her in any way. When asked by my daughter and wife why she was wearing that, my only guess would be it was probably related to her religion. So I thought I'd ask here.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I would venture to guess that she was part of a religion that requires such. For example, there are some sects here in the South (primarily Southern Baptist or other evangelical/fundamentalist Protestant denominations) that do not permit girls/women to wear pants or cut their hair. No makeup, jewelry, etc... She could have also been Mennonite or something of that sort. Was her head covered or was her hair super long?

Jun 15, 2016
I know some Pentecostal parents who let their DD play rec softball a couple years ago. She also had a long skirt over her pants.

Jun 22, 2008
It has to do with religious beliefs. Saw it a few years ago at the state high school championships. I have no clue how the girl managed to play in it because it went clear to mid calf and really was not that stretchy. Watched her bat and attempt to run and it forced her to take short choppy steps because she could not take full strides in it.

Jul 17, 2016
I would venture to guess that she was part of a religion that requires such. For example, there are some sects here in the South (primarily Southern Baptist or other evangelical/fundamentalist Protestant denominations) that do not permit girls/women to wear pants or cut their hair. No makeup, jewelry, etc... She could have also been Mennonite or something of that sort. Was her head covered or was her hair super long?

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church, and never heard that. Maybe some other baptist denomination? Pretty sure it isn't the Southern Baptists, although it's a pretty large denomination and might have some churches and followers with different beliefs than the whole.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I've seen it mainly in rural areas in South Georgia and Lower Alabama. I don't think they are "mainstream" Southern Baptist churches. I can't give you specific names; I think they would be extreme outliers. I know the Duggars aren't Southern Baptist, but it very much has the same vibe.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Thanks for the replies everyone. This was in the central California area near Fresno, and the tournament included teams from throughout California and some other western states, but nothing from the deep South. Knowing how diverse our population is, though, I can imagine this existing someplace in California.

In reference to Comp's comment about the one he's seen and how it restricted the player's movement: the skirt the player I saw was wearing had a high slit on both sides, so I don't think she was constricted that way, but I was wondering how effective she would be with these large panels of fabric flapping around when she started running.

Anyways, kudos to her and her family in finding a way to play the game while continuing to adhere to her religious beliefs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad