softball practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tough question...it depends upon what you are trying to accomplish.

For younger ages, I think a four hour practice would be too much. Also, if the kids are not practicing on their own, it would be better to do two hour practices.

BUT:

If the kids are working on their own away from the team, then you can accomplish a lot with a 4 hour practice. You have to plan for a meal...although, the 4 hour Saturday practices were a lot of fun...go from 10-3 with one hour for lunch, and have the parents fix burgers and dogs for lunch.

Kids love it...

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We go 3x on off weeks and 2x on tournament weeks. Each session is 2 hours. This is perfect for 10U and 12U (out age) as we get a ton of basic skill reps. As we get older this will change. I think at young ages frequency in shorter intervals is better. Many top teams who use recruitment across long distances to make efforts to gain the best talent do 4 hour Sunday practices. Problem is this means even after playing all day at a 1 day event. This seems problematic to me however I understand the logistics. However, at young ages you are really expecting everything to be handed to you as a coach cause I could not see you covering much with the girls to truly make them better. m2c

Jun 11, 2012
Right now we have a 2 hr hitting practice mid week and a 1 1/2 hour fielding practice on the weekend plus a league game every weekend.
Once we can go outside again practices will get longer

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Right now we have a 2 hr hitting practice mid week and a 1 1/2 hour fielding practice on the weekend plus a league game every weekend.

If you ask me, I'd rather hit AND field in both of those practices. But is the hitting indoors? Then I see what you've got to do.

Along the same lines, and in regard to the OP, more practices, shorter duration, is always better except when trying to accommodate logistics (ie, travel). Which is often the case.

Jun 11, 2012
If you ask me, I'd rather hit AND field in both of those practices. But is the hitting indoors? Then I see what you've got to do.

Along the same lines, and in regard to the OP, more practices, shorter duration, is always better except when trying to accommodate logistics (ie, travel). Which is often the case.

Hitting and fielding are both indoors at different locations. Once we go back outside all practices include both hitting and fielding. The hitting facility does not have space for anything but hitting.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
We go full team twice a week for two hours on tournament weeks, and add a three hour practice on Saturday on off weeks. This does not include two one-hour sessions for pitchers and catchers only. (12U)

Dec 26, 2010
Well i am considering trying out for teams that have 4hr weekend practices and I will only attend those because of the distance and i am wondering will that be enough for my DD to get better.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Well i am considering trying out for teams that have 4hr weekend practices and I will only attend those because of the distance and i am wondering will that be enough for my DD to get better.

I would pick the best team for your DD and work around their schedule. If they only practice once a week then you need to find a way for her to practice on other days. Work on her weaknesses! Since we joined a travel team I saw my DD's flaws and work as often as possible on off days to fix them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish