Softball pitching technique article

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I found this interesting:
The pitcher also performs lateral trunk lean in the direction of the pitching arm during release- this movement increases the moment arm for both spinal rotation and rotation around the left hip. The axis for spinal rotation passes through the spine, so that slight abduction of the arm about the shoulder joint will increase this distance. The axis for rotation about the left hip passes through the left thigh, and leaning sideways away from this axis will increase the moment arm for rotation about this axis.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Nice article... extremely long and dated, however as BM eluded to, there are some good points here. But I suggest just going back to the I/R IN THE CLASSROOM sticky thread. Better content and easier to read

Jul 14, 2008
BM,

I have and thanks..I am sorry should have been more specific.

"The deceleration of the shoulder rotation prior to release requires a strong eccentric contraction of the shoulder extensors prior to ball release. "

Eccentric contractions are lengthening movements of the muscles. For example, when you bend your elbow and put your hand on the shoulder.......Then STRAIGHTEN it back out.........Eccentric contractions (lenthening) of certain muscles are helping to control the movement by lenthening.......

The purpose of an eccentric contraction is to regulate a movement. The lengthening muscle resists the tension to keep the movement smooth and even. It also protects the joints by controlling the speed, angle, and direction of the movement. Multiple muscles usually work at the same time and can pull in different directions for highly controlled movements.

This is something you DON'T TEACH.........It's something that happens to the shoulder as kinetic energy passes from Proximal to Distal, or from the shoulder to the hand/ball.........As the closer thing (bicep/humerus) begins to slow down, the thing further away speeds up (forearm/hand/ball).......

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
Eccentric contractions are lengthening movements of the muscles. For example, when you bend your elbow and put your hand on the shoulder.......Then STRAIGHTEN it back out.........Eccentric contractions (lenthening) of certain muscles are helping to control the movement by lenthening.......

This is something you DON'T TEACH.........It's something that happens to the shoulder as kinetic energy passes from Proximal to Distal, or from the shoulder to the hand/ball.........As the closer thing (bicep/humerus) begins to slow down, the thing further away speeds up (forearm/hand/ball).......

Thank you BM.. So are you saying that your top arm will naturally slow down?

Jul 14, 2008
Yes basically. And the more you work the lower arm the better the upper arm will decel and tranfer energy to throw the ball........

Casey

Make it fun to compete
Mar 2, 2012
I have referred to this article for several years. Lots of pitchers pitch differently. I believe if a person can understand what they read, she accurately describes the physiological mechanics of windmill pitching.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"This my friends IS THE INTERNAL ROTATION MECHANICS I wrote about in '09, only I wrote it so the lay-person could understand it.......And I wrote it without ever seeing this article before today..........

AMAZING............"

Well if you say so it must be true.