Softball pitching, spinner training aids.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
A softball with black tape will work, but you have to make sure the tape is in the correct position before each throw. A spinner is only @ $20 and will last forever.

As a 8YO, all she should be throwing is a four-seam fastball anyways (and later a c/u). You can even use a sharpie instead of black tape if that is an issue.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
We do use a ball with black tape on it whenever we are practicing or when she is working with her PC. Seems the overall consensus is that my daughter would be to young for this tool at the moment.

Thanks guys, saved me a little money.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just to clarify, DD uses a spinner up close to work on spin orientation, she does not use it for full pitches, she uses a ball with electrical tape. Considering I spent $20 on it and DD has used it for 6+ years, I think we got a pretty good ROI....much better than every other softball expenditure!

Jan 4, 2016
Stripped ball is the best way to go. Rather than taping the ball I find a cup that is just the right size then use a sharpie to draw a line around. Flip the ball over draw the other side then fill in between with a wide tip. Yes you will have to search through ever cup you own to get the width of the line you are looking for but my DD likes it better since here grip is not on the slick electrical tape. I also leave a couple inch wide gap when filling in the lines. Helps to see the speed of the rotation. Not as good as a rev fire but those things are like the Sasquatch these days. You know they exist but you can never find one.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
A hockey puck may work for 8u

That's what we did @ 8-9... workz early to get the concept... just stand it up. Start with index, then go to the middle. Just for up close. Then we went to taped balls. get three. 2-2Seamed & 1-4Seamed. Keep one in her glove as she is pitching. Helps focus on abduction...stops the swim & slapping... Pitch them as they come up.. 2 & 4... :cool:

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Stripped ball is the best way to go. Rather than taping the ball I find a cup that is just the right size then use a sharpie to draw a line around. Flip the ball over draw the other side then fill in between with a wide tip. Yes you will have to search through ever cup you own to get the width of the line you are looking for but my DD likes it better since here grip is not on the slick electrical tape. I also leave a couple inch wide gap when filling in the lines. Helps to see the speed of the rotation. Not as good as a rev fire but those things are like the Sasquatch these days. You know they exist but you can never find one.

That is a good tip about using a cup to make the lines on the ball with a Sharpie. The 11" striped balls turned out very nice. Thanks for that tip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles