Softball pitching, spinner training aids.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Those that have pitchers do you like the use of these type of training aids, or are these spin pucks a waste of time and money. DD is 8 years old. Any recommendations on a specific brand? Do you like the perfectly round discs or do you like the discs that are squared off a little?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Id=440&usg=AFQjCNGuZPnG9vS92qQNNE7aPsU-nRPl2w

They seem awful expensive for what they are, if there is a cheaper version please let me know.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
NorCal
I bought one for my DD at that age. There was only one brand available and it came with an instructional CD. She never cared for it and never used it. The size of the puck replicates a 12" ball. At 8u it was way too big for her to use. Now that she is throwing a 12" ball, it is still never used.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Great training aide for correct rotation. DD currently working on her riseball, and if the spinner is not straight up/down then she is not doing it correctly. We have been using it since 12U, when DD moved up to a 12" ball.

Feb 7, 2013
Just put a black stripe on her softball so she/you can see the correct spin. That's all you need for an 8YO. And save your money for a RevFire when she is a 12YO and is throwing movement pitches. Lastly, if I was to do it all over again, I would NOT have hired a PC who was a HE instructor and would have not have had DD pitch in a single game until she mastered Boardmembers "IR in the Classroom" drills and Java's "Drive Mechanics" drills. If you do it right from the get go, it makes it so much easier to pitch correctly as she gets older.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
My DD used one when she was pitching, and it was a great tool. She was always told she had great spin. The important thing, though, is that you remember that it's only one tool - and it isn't a miracle worker. DD will have to actually do the drills with it. And those little buggers are unforgiving - so you'll need face protection and someone else available to catch it when it goes astray, or you'll be a worn out catcher by the end of her practice. It becomes a random projectile that takes crazy bounces.

Oh and sidenote - Just an opinion, but agree 8u is too little for it.

If I could go back in time, I would focus SO much on proper body mechanics first and foremost at that age, forget where the ball is going for now. Invest in a good shock-absorbing pitching mat for her back, and teach her how to properly warm up. Don't put any emphasis on how much she's "moving" the ball, or working on spin at the moment. Make sure her arms, legs, and torso are working together correctly. Once she's got the mechanics, *then* focus on the finer things - like getting the ball near the plate. :) I know others might disagree and say, "Just throw strikes," but dang it I have seen too many young ladies sacrifice their bodies with bad mechanics in the name of shortcuts to throwing strikes at 10u and 12u. It isn't worth it, and once those bad habits become muscle memory, you're gonna have a bad time.

100% agree on Java and BM stickies - and IR first. Oh and make sure she has good shoes, and look at her toe of her drag foot. If she's burning up the side of the shoe, make her stop until she fixes it. Never let her practice wrong. 😢

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just put a black stripe on her softball so she/you can see the correct spin. That's all you need for an 8YO. And save your money for a RevFire when she is a 12YO and is throwing movement pitches. Lastly, if I was to do it all over again, I would NOT have hired a PC who was a HE instructor and would have not have had DD pitch in a single game until she mastered Boardmembers "IR in the Classroom" drills and Java's "Drive Mechanics" drills. If you do it right from the get go, it makes it so much easier to pitch correctly as she gets older.

A softball with black tape will work, but you have to make sure the tape is in the correct position before each throw. A spinner is only @ $20 and will last forever.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have said in many a post that you should always throw with at taped ball. Every pitch is an opportunity to evaluate what is going on, make adjustments, and improve. A taped ball provides instant feedback on rotation speed and axis. Especially with a young pitcher that is learning the fundamentals of IR/BI evaluation of the spin is critical. Without even looking at mechanics it tells you and the pitcher that something is amiss.

I personally am not a fan of the spinner as it does not provide anything over a taped ball. And come game time you will throw a ball not a hockey puck. In addition the spinner forces the user to adopt an unnatural grip. The finger placement on a spinner vs a ball are typically different.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I took an 11" ball and color half of it black with a wide tip sharpie pen. I had a hard time seeing just the stripe and the pen doesn't change the feel of the ball at all. (I never could get DD to use the spinner and honestly, I never had luck with it myself, so that may be the contributing factor in her use of it.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles