Legal Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Fastpitch Softball Pitching - CROWHOP? Replant of pivot foot? - YouTube

I know this has probably been asked several times but I can't seem to get a final answer to my question. If this pitcher's drive foot remained in contact with the ground would this be a legal pitch? I watched a pitching practice yesterday and 3 girls were pitching. All three pitched just like this except their drive foot was in contact with the ground from pitcher's plate to replant. Does there have to be a pronounced break in contact with ground for it to be considered a "replant"?

Jun 22, 2008
According to the current ASA rules clarification, as long as the pivot foot drags away from the pitching plate and does not become airborn there is no rule stating the pivot foot may not bear weight again.

For the past few months or so we have been asked about a pitching style called a “Push, Drag, Push” or a “Crow Drag in Women’s and Junior Olympic Fast Pitch. This is described as a pitcher that pushes from the pitcher’s plate, drags her pivot foot, stops and pushes again. We have been told that there are some indicators like a bent leg or the pivot foot bearing weight as a factor in this style of pitching. We have looked at several videos and several pitchers. We disagree that any of these pitchers are pushing, dragging, stopping and pushing again. We can see what appears to be a pivot by the pivot foot at the end of their delivery but not a re-push.

Nowhere in the ASA rules does it state anything illegal about the pivot foot bearing weight or the leg being bent. As long as the pivot foot starts on the pitcher's plate and pushes away, remains on the ground within the 24-inch width of the pitcher's plate and the arm continues without stopping in the delivery, it is a legal pitch. The pitcher opening her hips causes the foot to turn (pivot mark in the dirt) and then with pivot foot remaining on the ground (drag mark), the pitcher then closes her hips which produces another pivot mark in the dirt. This is not an illegal pitch by ASA pitching rules. We would also add, it is not possible to push, drag, stop and re-push while the non-pivot foot is in the air. It is possible to re-push if you leap and land.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Comp posted the ASA interp that came out last year, I believe.

If you watch closely, all of the pitcher's weight is on her stride foot and her pivot foot is merely turning and kicking up at the conclusion of her delivery, If she was replanting and pushing off again, her pivot foot would not kick up as shown in the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles