softball pitching mat (make one or buy one?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I need a pitching mat for indoor practice. I see them selling online for $200-$300. It looks like I could make one myself with a piece of turf and a rubber and some glue or something to attach it. Has anybody tried to do that? Or should I just go buy one? any recommendations?

Thanks.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Go down to Lowes

Get yourself a 12' anti fatigue floor matting. Its 4' wide and in my area it comes in Gray. Works great. Wont slip and you dont have to mess with glue or trying to adhere artificial carpet to rubber backing. Take a board the same size as the pitching rubber and drill wood screws through the rubber into the board with the mat. Use duct tape for the power line.

Here is the best part. Total cost about $80.

Dana.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
anti fatigue floor matting? Would that come from a carpet store or even Lowes, Home Depot? Or is it something industrial?

I wish someone would put all of this stuff in a book. Hal? Because there are great ideas out there for home made tees and nets to hit into in the garage.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Amy

I got mine a Lowes. Home Depot didnt carry what I needed here in my area. Works great for pitching in a garage during the off season or bad weather. My students throw into a net with a mirror on the other side so they can watch thier movements and mechanics while they pitch.

Lowes will now be wondering why their sales of Floor mats has jumped 40% across the country after this thread gets read. :D Get ready the price is about to go up per foot. :rolleyes:

Dana

Nov 17, 2009
Pitching Mat

Here is what I have did for my daughter and now I just made 3 more for my team. I went to a local gravel quarry and they gave me some conveyor belt. I cut it into 8-9 ft sections and screwed a pitching mound to it. Works great!!
Sure beats paying $200 for one. I went to the local Parks and Rec and they gave me some old pitching rubbers that had been changed out. So the total cost I have in each mat is about $.25 for the screws. So easy even a caveman could do it.
Coach C

May 13, 2008
Oh man, don't put the caveman down...

caveman.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes