Softball pants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
I'm not sure how, but I got roped into being responsible for ordering uniforms for my 12U team. I've decided to get the girls pants. I've seen pricing that ranges from $8 to around $30 with a large group that seems to be in the $16-24 range.

To some degree, the price seems to increase with the wight of the fabric.

Is there much of a difference in durability between say a 12oz $16 pant and a 14oz $24 pant? Anyone have experience with the Teamwork Athletic offerings?

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions/recommendations as to what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Just my two cents, but I've been coaching 10+ years and my oldest is playing 18 yr old ball. Girls seem to prefer the Mizuno low rise. I'm not explaining it or promoting them, just telling you what they tell me.

Jul 26, 2010
Girls tend to like the low rise knicker style without belt loops.

Price does tend to be directly related to quality, however there are some exceptions. I find that Mizuno (the higher end, not their low end) cost less then high end nike or underarmor but perform better.

What you may want to consider is multiple pair of cheaper pants, rather then just one pair of good pants. . . especially if they have more then one game day per week.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
Our Association has done shorts every year and this year are switching to pants. We wear black. Girls are going to get hot in the summer.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, believe it or not, the girls are not getting hot in the summer. I am in Tucson and I had to be educated on this and I have never worn anything but shorts to play in.

Of course, people pointed out to me that men don't seem to get hot in pants.

And then, my DD reinforced it, that she was not any hotter in pants. I am a little hard headed, sometimes.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the weight of the material. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My question would be. How many games will these pants be worn? Just this season or are the girls expected to wear these pant for the next 3 years? If its for several years, go with the better ones,. If not, do you play a lot of games, then you might want the higher weight. If you play 40 games a year, you could get away with the lighter weight.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
IMO, the biggest difference between cheaper and more expensive pants is fit. I agree that girls prefer low rise, knicker-length pants, and would add that how the pants fit goes a VERY long way toward players' happiness with them. By 12 and 14U, everyone is concerned with how their uniforms look. Almost all girls I've known prefer tighter to looser, too. Many boys may prefer baggy pants, but almost NO girls do. My team has worn the Nike Stealth pants for the past couple of years, and they constantly have other teams telling them how much they like their pants. I think the Mizuno high end pants look pretty good, too. Whatever you do, DON"T BUY BASEBALL PANTS. Even with the high end pants, you can generally shop around for team pricing and get them in the $30-32 range.

I would also second what Amy says about black pants being hot. Never had a problem with it, even on the hottest days. They'd rather wear pants than knee pads, which can really sweat. My TB players all prefer pants on the field, to the point where they don't even want to practice in shorts or sweats. When HS season started, all the non-TB kids were there in shorty shorts or baggy sweat pants, while all the TB girls wore pants. After a couple of days, all the non-TB kids had pants on.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
We have been using Teamworks pants for the last couple years and they were fine. The Mizuno are a little better quality and have extra material in the knee. Most all the girls if given a choice much prefer the knicker length pants. Never heard any complaints about being hot, even when they wore the black shirts with them. For shirts, we use Intensity button up for the 'dress' uniform, and Ringor V-neck (underarmour type) hot weather shirts. Look sharp, feel comfortable.

Whatever you decide, they have to try them on before you order. They are girls, you know. ;->

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi