Softball is a money maker.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hey Peppers, are the Frost Falcons still around in your neck of the woods? They use to have a pretty good team, but I haven't heard much about them lately.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Hey Peppers, are the Frost Falcons still around in your neck of the woods? They use to have a pretty good team, but I haven't heard much about them lately.

I believe the Frost Falcons are now the Tenn. Fury (at least I know the Fury plays out of the complex at Frost Stadium), and yes they are pretty good. They finished 2nd at 14U ASA Nationals this past year.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I believe the Frost Falcons are now the Tenn. Fury (at least I know the Fury plays out of the complex at Frost Stadium), and yes they are pretty good. They finished 2nd at 14U ASA Nationals this past year.

Yea I've heard lots about the Frost Falcons, went head hunting at a State tourney in 2010. We are west TN, they are big dogs in east TN. Some reason they pulled out of "A" bracket to play "B". ( we were A ) They only placed 6th in B. Never got the full story behind the move. Just curious.

Apr 14, 2010
Chattanooga may have made some money from the hotels and such but they have also invested quite a bit of money into the softball arena. If you have not had a chance to visit or play there you have missed a wonderful place to visit. They have refined the Frost Stadium, upgraded Warner Park, and built a complete state of the art softball complex in the picturesque Summit of Chattanooga. The city spent over $11 million on this 83 acre complex alone. Google it and check it out.It has 8 fields, It was built on tier levels with fields in stair step fashion. You can stand at the top and look down at the other fields. Its truly a very nice place to play ball. I read that its Chattanooga's goal to become one of the top rated hosts for softball, both fastpitch and slowpitch. And it appears they are willing to invest for the return.

From the 2010-2011 Newcomers Guide to Chattanooga:

"The Summit is owned by Chattanooga and is maintained by its Parks & Recreation Department. It was built on 82 city-owned acres at a cost of about $12 million. The complex includes seven fields with fences located 300 feet from home plate to accommodate adult slowpitch games and one with a 225-foot fence that can oblige adult women and youth play.

Each of its three tiers has color-coordinated shade structures, flowers and trash cans. The lower four-plex is red. The portion that includes the two middle fields outfitted with cameras designed to provide Internet feeds is blue. The upper level is dark green. Each area has umpires’ quarters, and each field has energy-efficient lighting, its own tarp and a digital scoreboard."

Oct 19, 2009

The Frost Falcons are still around; they have not been the dominating force they once were. At one time you played with them from 6 yo to 18 yo I don’t believe they field may teams these days.

As FPMark advised the Fury are the team now attracting the better players they have an indoor facility, we were working out there for a while and after an 45 minute drive would find the facility closed when it was scheduled to be open and got tired of wasting gas. :mad:

A link to their web sight.

Fury Academy Fastpitch Softball and Baseball  Lessons, Instruction, Camps

Chattanooga has always been big in softball and has some great facilities. :cool:

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Always wondered why motels that are normally $49 a night are $120 when there is a tournament in town. ;)

Probably the same reason the rates are higher when a NASCAR race is in the area, it's commonly known as supply and demand,,,the higher the demand, the higher the prices....basic economic theory...

Oct 25, 2009
Probably the same reason the rates are higher when a NASCAR race is in the area, it's commonly known as supply and demand,,,the higher the demand, the higher the prices....basic economic theory...

With the exception, maybe, that the teams are not required to book at hotels of the racing team's choosing. IOW, if you can find a $49 room go for it; without your team being penalized $500.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Don't get me wrong, I love to visit Chattanooga, and The Summit, Warner, Frost Stadium are great.

BUT Camp Jordan is a hole! I am really glad that the income from those tournaments did well, however I hope that they use some of the dough to work the fields at Camp Jordan once in a while and maybe, just maybe, clean up the stench from the porta-a-potties (Kit-Mos). It didn't leave a very good impression on the 10s & 12s (future visitors).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi