Softball Hitting - Why Staying Loose is Important

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
When it comes down to hitting, every body wants to hit the ball hard and with power. Of course, the first natural reflex when we need to generate more strength and power is to "flex" our muscles to generate greater forces. It's a normal reflex as more muscles are contracting = more forces being produced.

However, "flexing" your muscles before you hit is counter-productive. Flexed muscles are tensed muscles. Tensed muscles are slow muscles. Slow muscles = slow bat speed. Slow bat speed = reduced power.

What you need to do is stay loose until you are ready to fire. In other words, you stay "loosey-goosey" to use a term I heard Coach Murphy used before until you are ready to attack the ball. Anything you do before should be done while being relaxed. Watch the following video for more explanation about this important physiological principle.

More...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Actually this was a guest post from Marc. For some reason it didn't show up as him when it ported over from my blog. We'll have to look into that.

May 12, 2008
Makes sense since the wording is the same. I haven't been able to find the previous thread but I haven't had much time to look either.

Oct 19, 2009
You spoke of coach Pat Murphy my daughter attended a coach Murphy camp and she is blasting the ball. She took batting practice about 2 weeks ago during a team practice, hitting from a pitching machine that was throwing around 68 – 70 MPH verified by a radar gun. The other kids were not touching the ball maybe a foul now and then. She put on a show hitting the ball bucket and busting it all to pieces line drives in the gaps and balls over the out field. The other parents in the stands clapped after she finished her turn at bat, never seen that before.

She used the hitting techniques she learned at the camp put on by coach Murphy and his fine staff.

May 12, 2008
Yeah his players swing it pretty good. My point from the other thread was, loose can have infinite meaning. Loose like dad in the lounge chair after a toddy is "too light" as the tv commercials say now. Stiff like a statue is too tight. I think what you are looking for is the level of muscle activation you see in a stalking cat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet