Softball Hitting Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Matt, under "Hand Path" you wrote the following.
- Maintain 90-deg angle with back elbow, hand and shoulder through swing.

You then give an example of Miguel Cabrera, shown below with the angle highlighted in 'red'.

2yto5ye.jpg

The angle does not start or finish at a 90-degree angle .... and neither is the angle constant throughout the swing.

Please clarify.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In essence, the top hand will be "out" if the bottom hand is "in". Matching the palm up/down theory.

In this pic of Miggy, I admit it's more up than "in", but it's still "in". Does that make sense?

Thank you Matt.

This is a point where you and I differ. I don't see the hands necessarily as parallel to one another at contact.

I see the bottom hand similar to you .... but it is also "flat" with the lead forearm. We hit with a "flat bottom hand".

I was wondering if you might have been trying to describe a 'bent top hand' often seen going into contact ... but in the photo you've shown here the top hand is beyond that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Matt, under the session "Extension/Follow Thru" you wrote the following.

Extension
. Happens after contact

Rather than the word "after", I prefer "through". Good hitters are in the process of "extending" through contact.

978hna.gif

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University

Extension
. Happens after contact

Rather than the word "after", I prefer "through". Good hitters are in the process of "extending" through contact.

978hna.gif

I think you used the right word "prefer". I think we agree on what's happening. You prefer through. I prefer after. But I also agree with through. I'll have to think about re-terming my language.

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Thank you Matt.

This is a point where you and I differ. I don't see the hands necessarily as parallel to one another at contact.

I see the bottom hand similar to you .... but it is also "flat" with the lead forearm. We hit with a "flat bottom hand".

I was wondering if you might have been trying to describe a 'bent top hand' often seen going into contact ... but in the photo you've shown here the top hand is beyond that.

I agree with you mostly on this. It may be miscommunication on my end. I'll get to this & the 90 degree angle later. Driving now.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think you used the right word "prefer". I think we agree on what's happening. You prefer through. I prefer after. But I also agree with through. I'll have to think about re-terming my language.

You are correct, extension does occur "after" contact ... but it also occurs "prior" to contact .... and is in the process of "happening" through contact.

If we ask a hitter to maintain the angle in their rear arm, AND also to prevent extension from taking place until 'after' contact, then we are going to build hitters that are 'excessive' relative to core rotation ..... IMO anyway. We don't see pros maintaining a fixed angle in their rear arm ... and neither do we see them restricting any extension prior to contact.

You didn't say that extension didn't take place prior to 'contact' .... but your sentence left it open to be interpreted that way.

Thank you for the discussion.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Matt, under "Hand Path" you wrote the following.
- Maintain 90-deg angle with back elbow, hand and shoulder through swing.

You then give an example of Miguel Cabrera, shown below with the angle highlighted in 'red'.

2yto5ye.jpg

The angle does not start or finish at a 90-degree angle .... and neither is the angle constant throughout the swing.

Please clarify.

DIALOGE. I saw two guys getting so worked up fighting about the swing, and they were saying the same thing, with different words.(I think I was one of them).

Five, why is the opening of the triangle , not a push?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Extension
. Happens after contact

978hna.gif

I prefer Matt's concept i.e., "hitting to or even through contact" with extension following contact as this is consistent w/ the concept of maximizing bat speed/force at impact with extension being reserved for the post-impact directional deceleration

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Greenmonsters...The intent of the eBook was more of a birds eye view of the swing. I wanted to make it basic enough for hitting coaches/parents to understand without getting too technical/detailed. My plan is to work on releasing more in depth ebooks and also drill ebooks and a common faults and fixes ebook, so I agree with you on the detail aspect.

In regards to clarity, please let me know ways that I could have improved the clarity. I did use a lot of language/terms that I didn't describe very well. A Glossary of terms and explanations at the end may be a good idea.

You read my comments correctly. As we see in this thread, semantics are a major source of confusion and disagreement. Sounds like the ebook was an appetizer. Looking forward to the main course!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I prefer Matt's concept i.e., "hitting to or even through contact" with extension following contact as this is consistent w/ the concept of maximizing bat speed/force at impact with extension being reserved for the post-impact directional deceleration

GM, just curious ... in the swing clip below we see the swing progressing up to 'contact'. Do you see any 'extension' of the rear arm taking place during this segment of the swing? I do .... but do you? If you do see it, do you feel it is a bad swing?

978hna.gif

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp