Softball Hitting Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I still think we're saying the same thing. I'm very familiar with RVP & am Beta testing RVP2 for them now. And I know what you're saying at connection. I am open however to finding a different way to communicate what I call the L and you call the Vee.

My biggest issue with the V is when that wide V gets more narrow. Only reason I like to use the L analogy vs. V

For what it is worth, here is my position .....

At 'launch' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus is in a 'Vee' orientation. A term used by one hitting system for this is the "Power-Vee".

At the 'RVP Connection Point Position' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus angle is in a similar 'Vee' orientation that is "upright" relative to the tilt angle of the torso. Being "upright" is important. A term used by a different hitting system for this is the "Power-Vee" (the same name, but describing the rear forearm-elbow-humerus relationship at a different position in the swing).

In a sense you have a "Power-Vee" at both 'launch' and at the 'RVP Connection Point Position'.

After the 'RVP Connection Point Position' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus angle increases ... becomes wider.

I could understand saying that the "Vee" angle of the rear forearm-elbow-humerus is relatively constant between 'launch' and the 'RVP Connection Point Position'. More accurately, the angle of the rear forearm-elbow-humerus between the 'launch' position and the 'RVP Connection Point Position' narrows slightly, and then widens considerably for the remainder of the swing after the 'RVP Connection Point Position'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like this rear view of Fielder .....

30agpxg.gif

b4w9pt.gif

Last edited:

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
For what it is worth, here is my position .....

At 'launch' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus is in a 'Vee' orientation. A term used by one hitting system for this is the "Power-Vee".

At the 'RVP Connection Point Position' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus angle is in a similar 'Vee' orientation that is "upright" relative to the tilt angle of the torso. Being "upright" is important. A term used by a different hitting system for this is the "Power-Vee" (the same name, but describing the rear forearm-elbow-humerus relationship at a different position in the swing).

In a sense you have a "Power-Vee" at both 'launch' and at the 'RVP Connection Point Position'.

After the 'RVP Connection Point Position' the rear forearm-elbow-humerus angle increases ... becomes wider.

I could understand saying that the "Vee" angle of the rear forearm-elbow-humerus is relatively constant between 'launch' and the 'RVP Connection Point Position'. More accurately, the angle of the rear forearm-elbow-humerus between the 'launch' position and the 'RVP Connection Point Position' narrows slightly, and then widens considerably for the remainder of the swing after the 'RVP Connection Point Position'.

Now we're getting closer to being on the same page...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In a sense, between 'launch', and the 'RVP Connection Point Position', the hands are sucked into the body's rotation .....

30agpxg.gif

only to be directed away from the body's rotation .....

2itrkia.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Subject change.
Coachlilse. Adjustments in the box.....
Do you teach or what are some upper level thoughts on adjustments? Vs very fast pitchers? 2 strike adjustment? Choke up? Split grip (I see a lot of npf ladies with a split), move in the box? Shorten up swing? No adjustment?
Thanks.

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Subject change.
Coachlilse. Adjustments in the box.....
Do you teach or what are some upper level thoughts on adjustments? Vs very fast pitchers? 2 strike adjustment? Choke up? Split grip (I see a lot of npf ladies with a split), move in the box? Shorten up swing? No adjustment?
Thanks.

I can tell you that my opinions on these things are continually "evolving"

Regarding Adjustments here are a few off the top of my head

- 2 Strikes: I don't have them change anything other than getting on top of the dish much more. 80% of 2 strike pitches are out vs. in. Having said that, I would have a different approach if I was coaching younger kids. I would still get on the dish but I would shorten up, I would get out to stride early, I would shift my focus to contact vs. great contact to put the ball in play. At the collegiate level and above, I don't like changing the swing, per se.

- Rise Ball Pitchers: I give them 2 choices based on the hitter. They can either move way up in the box and be more aggressive "possibly" getting to the rise at a lower point or moving to the back of the box and trying to recognize the rise longer and laying off it when the computer in the brain sees it and yells "red light". None of the above is based on anything scientific, just how I've seen success in beating rise ball pitchers.

- IN/OUT: I like to adjust to the pitcher as much as possible. This year at Oregon, late in the season while facing Dallas Escebedo...the Ducks approach was to get far off the plate because she loves to come in and hard and force her to pitch outside. I liked that. But IMO if the hitter has "great" hand path, I would prefer them closer to the plate in general

- Drop: Same applies to the rise. More aggressive hitters I'll toy with getting them up in the box sometimes to try and get it at a higher point and others in the back to recognize it better and lay off

- Depth in the box: I always tell hitters, "If I'm facing Traina and she's throwing 70mph to the plate and her release is say around 38 feet my reaction time is X". Would you rather face Traina standing 35 feet or 42 feet away? The answer is always 42 feet away. So IMO whether the pitcher is throwing 60mph or 70mph...I still would prefer to be the furthest away I'm allowed to be to give me the longest amount of reaction time. With exceptions being if the pitchers movement (drop/rise/curve) is better than her velocity.

All of this I would probably teach at "most" levels except the 2 strike approach. Being around some great MLB minds the last few years and learning more about sabermetrics and seeing some studies done at the D1 level, I don't place as much importance on K at the plate anymore for "SOME" hitters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1