Softball Glove Sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
In my continuing softball education, I am trying to learn what typical glove sizes are for infield positions. I am very familiar on the baseball side, but I'm literally clueless about glove size for softball players.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In my continuing softball education, I am trying to learn what typical glove sizes are for infield positions. I am very familiar on the baseball side, but I'm literally clueless about glove size for softball players.

I have noticed that my daughter's gloves are about a half to an 1" bigger then my son's gloves were at the same age. I have always liked the kids to learn with the smallest possible glove, that will do the job and fit their hands. My DD is 13 and she is using a 12.5 inch fielding glove. Smaller and the ball doesn't fit in there to well and bigger it seems to be a crutch to make up for poor fielding habits.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My DD is 14, plays middle infield and outfield, both with a 12.5 inch glove. She could probably use a biger glove for outfield but she loves the one she has. Look for a FP style glove for a deeper pocket.

Feb 9, 2011
12-12.5 inch for the infield is a must to much larger and the ball transitions slow. DD loves the 12.5 for short and pitching.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I always use my 11 1/2" glove when playing catch with them... I was a shortstop and was trying to stop or control the ball more than catch it. They try that on and say its way too small. Sounds like 12-12.5" would be appropriate.

Jun 25, 2009
One thing to remember, different brands can be bigger and still stamped the same. The Nokona's I have seen seemed larger than some others the same size. My daughter is 10 and still using a 12" glove for the 11" ball. She won't use anything but the closed back Mizuno's. We are working on breaking in a 12-1/4" that should be good from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619