Soft hands versus pushing through ball on fielding grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
For years now I've taught and believed that soft hands which receive the ball, retract to body with ball and moves to throw fluidly is the way for infielders to defend ground balls. Recently my DD began playing for a new tb team and the coach (a former D1 college catcher) is teaching "pushing through" with forearm (away from body) and "redirecting" ball when fielding grounders to provide for better opportunity to field muffed balls. I understand her philosophy but it seems that the likelihood of muffing a ball is greatly increased with this technique. She is teaching butt down, chest up and good foot work - just a different approach when it comes to ball in glove technique. Any thoughts from those much wiser than me (which is most on this forum from what I can tell), greatly appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
From what Candrea showed us with his middle infielders, your new coach is right.

I teach as you describe and I like to use the softhands glove. But, Candrea doesn't want the SS and 2nd bringing the ball to the chest. He said that the ball doesn't even go in the pocket of the glove.

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks - add that to the long list of many things I didn't know. What does he do with the corners? My problem is at Jr High/14u level my infield is most often interchangeable. Would be tough to train one way and expect them to defend the other way depending where they are playing. I do have a couple of girls that are very good players but are hesitant to charge the ball (always taking angle). The push/re-direction drill may help them attack the ball a little better.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know if you are familiar with Howard Kobata. But he has a good DVD that would help you Meet Howard Kobata.

I was taking in so much info at the Candrea's coaches camps that I don't know what third does. I think he has them stay low, also. The camp should be coming up, though. It is excellent.

Jun 16, 2010
Field the ball out in front of you , its that simple. Thats where it needs to be to be fast, and for you to watch it all the way in.
Bring the hands up separating them like drawing a bow, and fire the ball as quickly as possible.

Softball is a game of speed. Eliminating unnecessary movement is what makes efficiency and speed.

Bringing it in is something that is frequently done in baseball, where there is loads of time to throw runners out. Baseball is not a very technically demanding game compared to fastpitch. BB players get by with all kinds of poor form and bad habits.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2010
I agree - however out front and soft hands are not mutually exclusive. My question is whether the "re-direction" (pushing out with the forearm - not the wrist) is going to give the girls hard hands and cause them to mishandle balls. Apparently not if Candrea is successful with it. I just haven't been exposed to that technique and was wondering who else is teaching it (pros v. cons, etc.). We teach attack ball (use bucket drill alot), set feet, receive ball out front with soft hands, cock and go. With the push they bring ball to same spot just different method of getting there - not sure it's any faster. She (the new coach) stresses this keeps ball in front if you mishandle. I'll look for some video to post with both methods.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
There is the set your feet and soft hands way, which is effective and has worked for years and there is Howard's method of attacking through the ball with proper footwork and angles. Although when I watch Howard at clinics, everyone according to Howard is "TOO SLOW! NEXT!"

Personally, I see more errors going with Howard's method, but it is quicker. No doubt about it.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
depends on the player...lower skilled probably need the soft hands....higher skilled can probably handle the attack method!!

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter went to a D1 camp and a camp with one of the USA players both taught the scoop method and advised that stats proved scoop had less errors and was quicker.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Baseball: scoop or soft hands

It appears that at least in softball the trend now is to scoop/redirect (if anyone has video of this drill please post), my question is do they teach this in baseball now also or is it still soft hands?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish