need help/advice on DDs hitting, 2nd year 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
brooke_purdue_side_zpsmwxe50gs.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The bat on the shoulder is one way to learn how to use the hands during the swing - it encourages the hands to turn the barrel rather than having the barrel affected by what the arms are doing.

Notice bat on the shoulder. A good model to use:
Brooke_zpsg8ycstmk.gif

Agreed. Bat on the shoulder can be a very effective setup, especially for players who have a tendency to drop their hands prior to launch. with my DD, it helped her get past her early DBSF issues.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Set up a couple of lessons with coach, and she has her keep bat on her shoulder, trying to get force her to load up more for more power, but seems to me swing is slower, and less contact overall now, and confidence at plate is dropping (leading to a couple of Ks looking this past weekend, coach hates this).

Just a thought... If the swing seems slower when the bat is on her shoulder, it could suggest that she swings too much with her arms. As others have stated, starting with the bat on the shoulder is one way of trying to use the lower body more. If she doesn't like the feeling of the bat on her shoulder, I have seen others place the barrel against the side of their neck, or against their helmet. In either case, we want the lower half more involved.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Further explanation would be appreciated.

I know its off the tee, but I like her HS swing better

Look at her tee swing and what her body does. Envision how her back muscles are working to contribute to the swing. Are they pushing or pulling? In what direction?

The tee swing was early HS. The indoor swing was senior HS - An adjustment to a change up that she crushed for a HR. The Iowa swing looks like an adjustment to an inside pitch. I believe she was coming back from a knee injury, and just starting to trust things again. It flew a long way.

(This is my recollection from previous discussions)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi