Soft hands for a catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
We spend alot of time working on NOT pulling the glove back, for exactly the reasons Starsnuffer said. It's wasted movement, and it could affect the throw.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Well that's one way to do it, especially if you like the throw to head in the direction of the second baseman and not second base, considering that is where the catcher's elbow is pointing when their glove is by their ear.

Check out Coach Weaver's instruction on the subject, it's very informative and enlightening.

-W

Actually, if your footwork is correct that is the best way to do it. The glove hand/elbow is pulled down as the throwing hand comes forward and the resulting shift in the core increases the speed of the throw. conceptually its like hitting from the hips rather than "throwing your hands". Plus it results in a faster transition to the throwing hand.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If I'm going to have my catcher emulate someone - I'll go with the best softball catcher in the country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOkGosoTKNs&feature=relmfu

Great player, yes. "Best" overall catcher, hard to argue w/ the USA coaching staff. Best catcher mechanically, nope. IMO, there's room for improvement on the stance (too low) and set up (staggered left ft ahead of right), and transition (as discussed in prior posts). Biggest problem in my mind is the ball in the dirt to her left - she won't be able to block that pitch as consistently as she could if she set up without a stagger. Bottom line - she could be even better!

Sep 3, 2009
Biggest problem in my mind is the ball in the dirt to her left - she won't be able to block that pitch as consistently as she could if she set up without a stagger. Bottom line - she could be even better!

When the low inside pitch comes, you think the 1B Coach is going to send the runner? If they're smart they will. :)

Jul 26, 2010
There is a huge difference between being a student of the game and simply parroting success.

I believe it is important to understand WHY each mechanic is used, more so then understanding WHO uses it.

In the end, the natural talent athlete with sub-par mechanics will trump the "average girl" with great mechanics. That's life, it isn't fair, but there it is. Just because this is so, however, does not mean that we, as teachers, should instruct students to emulate natural athletes when we know that there are better mechanics available. Think of how good those natural athletes would be if they had more coaches pushing them to study the game and continue to refine.

A good example is Jennie Finch. Arguably one of the best pitchers in the game, with extreme amounts of natural talent, drive to win, willpower, and incredible genetics that enhance pitching. . . yet her mechanics leave an awful lot to be desired. With her physique and practice habits, she could easily pitch 75mph if her mechanics were refined, but there was never a need for her to do so because she was always at the top of her peers.

We know much more about the game then we did 5, 10, 20 years ago. We don't teach kids to grip bats in their palm of their hands, keep their elbows high, and squish the bug anymore, and there are good reasons for this. Keep an open mind and be a student of the game, not a parrot.

-W

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Great player, yes. "Best" overall catcher, hard to argue w/ the USA coaching staff. Best catcher mechanically, nope. IMO, there's room for improvement on the stance (too low) and set up (staggered left ft ahead of right), and transition (as discussed in prior posts). Biggest problem in my mind is the ball in the dirt to her left - she won't be able to block that pitch as consistently as she could if she set up without a stagger. Bottom line - she could be even better!

I happen to believe the slight stagger is the better way to set up. Have talked to several catching coaches, including former All-Americans, and they advocate this. The very few that a top level pitcher might put in the dirt to the side are more than offset by increased mobility.

As for setting up low, that's a personal preference, no real evidence that it effects catching. Most of what I follow comes from hours or studying video and watching the best, and how they work. I never take one person's opinion as gospel and always compare it against those who are most successful.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Perception vs Reality

I have often seen film where an elite athlete teaches one technique while they themselves execute a different one. They believe themselves to be doing it the way they teach but the video tells a different story.

Below look at 2 quick clips taken form the Ashley Holcombe clip that was provided. The clips happen quick so you may need to work the pause/play button to see what I saw. In the first clip Ashley gives a demonstration of the exchange that she recommends. The ball and glove drawn back well behind the ear. Notice the left elbow at the time the ball leaves the glove will be pointed towards the first base dugout.

Now watch the clip of her actually demonstrating the skill. You will notice that she exchanges the ball from the glove significantly more out front of her right cheek, nowhere near as far back as she recommended. Also watch the left elbow stay pointed much more towards 2nd during this throw.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xYCmNZNYE40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 3, 2009
I happen to believe the slight stagger is the better way to set up. Have talked to several catching coaches, including former All-Americans, and they advocate this. The very few that a top level pitcher might put in the dirt to the side are more than offset by increased mobility.

As for setting up low, that's a personal preference, no real evidence that it effects catching. Most of what I follow comes from hours or studying video and watching the best, and how they work. I never take one person's opinion as gospel and always compare it against those who are most successful.

Just be sure you look at all the sides, and TRY them both. And think of every play scenario a catcher would face. There might be a very slight advantage on throwing down to 2; but there is significant disadvantages to 3rd, fielding a bunt, or blocking. It's a ridiculously under-taught position, and there is alot of baseball daddy philosophy out there. I've see some bad methods taught at even the D1 level. If you're coaching catchers, definitely look into Coach Weaver's DVD on training catchers. It's the bible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi