So I learned something new.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Never knew that academic scholarship money counted towards the number of scholarships a program could award. Who do you see this helping the most? I see it helping everyone but the high academic programs moreso.

Jul 29, 2016
If it didn't, you'd have all kinds of programs using academic/need scholarships as a way around NCAA guidelines on how many scholarships you could give. Just think of how the football programs would abuse this if you let them.

Mar 28, 2014
If it didn't, you'd have all kinds of programs using academic/need scholarships as a way around NCAA guidelines on how many scholarships you could give. Just think of how the football programs would abuse this if you let them.
Well football already has overall limits on roster size regardless of scholarship monies so not an issue there.

It's going to change though. The vote will pass.

Jul 29, 2016
Well football already has overall limits on roster size regardless of scholarship monies so not an issue there.

It's going to change though. The vote will pass.
Right - 85 scholarships and up to 125 active players. You don't think Bama or Clemson would have 125 scholarship players if they were allowed to?

Mar 28, 2014
Right - 85 scholarships and up to 125 active players. You don't think Bama or Clemson would have 125 scholarship players if they were allowed to?
I don't follow. I mean, sure they would if they could but they aren't allowed to because football scholarships are not allowed to be partial. So it's a completely different animal. Plus there are roster size limits as well so I'm unclear how this pertains to my post about college baseball and presumably softball. My apologies.

Jul 29, 2016
I don't follow. I mean, sure they would if they could but they aren't allowed to because football scholarships are not allowed to be partial. So it's a completely different animal. Plus there are roster size limits as well so I'm unclear how this pertains to my post about college baseball and presumably softball. My apologies.

They're allowed to have 40 kids on the active roster who aren't on a football scholarship. My understanding is the NCAA doesn't allow these kids to receive academic/need-based scholarship instead of football scholarships.

May 23, 2015
Football is 85 scholarships and they're a headcount sport. Cant split

Football, tennis (D1 women only), Gymnastics (D1 women only), volleyball(D1 women only), and basketball (men and women) are headcount. The rest of the sports can split scholarships.

Stacking could get messy

Mar 28, 2014
They're allowed to have 40 kids on the active roster who aren't on a football scholarship. My understanding is the NCAA doesn't allow these kids to receive academic/need-based scholarship instead of football scholarships.
My understanding is that applies only to "recruited" walk-ons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish