So I ask...is it really worth it to pay more for college softball graduates?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
Div 1 coaches. Ooooh lala! It's like fishing lures being designed to catch fishermen. We have had them flow through our program. Girls like them sure. Did their skill set improve at a faster rate nope. Did they tell them anything we havent told them a trillion times nope

Teams/players that materially improve are comprised of girls that put in the time OUTSIDE of practice. Repetition repetition ... Having a team that is 50/50 in terms of outside commitment isn't near as much fun I know as we just had one. We just fixed it though

Reading your other posts and given the fact that this is the last yr before you have to start seriously putting your best foot forward (99) why wouldn't you put her on a team where she would maximize her mound time (if that's her main goal)? Any good 99 team Will have #1/2 bracket pitchers. If they have a weak #2 they will be looking to upgrade all yr. Go to a lesser team to get the mound time

The team you are referring to had a nice draw in pcb. If they kept their main pitcher how much mound time do you think you will see?

The second team you are referring to doesn't have one yet but you can bet they will keep looking all yr.

My simple advice is Focus on your daughters development this year not her trophy case.

Nov 29, 2009
Teams/players that materially improve are comprised of girls that put in the time OUTSIDE of practice. Repetition repetition ... Having a team that is 50/50 in terms of outside commitment isn't near as much fun I know as we just had one.

And the choir sings out a resounding AMEN!!!!

So let's be real, if you coach and you are a dad, you always think you can coach better than a softball player out of college. These young women are not that stupid and typically do just fine. Again it is not rocket science, and again, the stereotype is that females are better at relationships and are so-called nicer, which is ironic when I read about the so-called exceptions. From my own experience, I was criticized for those two supposed "weaknesses" (ie, being a cream puff as I was called). I did not think they were weaknesses. Plus I was actually tough and fair, just not a hard rear screamer.

My ideal candidate to coach a team is a former college player who has been out of the game for a few years. They tend to be more mature and patient with the kids while still being able to bring enthusiasm for the game. They have garnered enough life experience to deal with parents. They tend to have learned enough to coach the kids instead of manage them.

I know I feel like I'm a better coach than I was 8 years ago because of the years of experience. It's no different than with a woman teaching the kids the game.

Sluggers,

You are right about the parents making the kids who they are. But there are coaches who can influence kids to be better people through the use of sports, even if they only have them a few hours a week. As can any adult.

A girl who I work with parents are divorced. The dad was really bad. During the divorce the court appointed an advocate for the girl. The girl was so grateful and impressed for what this woman did for her she made up her mind that she wants to do the same thing as an adult. She has not wavered in her determination. So even though we as coaches spend a relatively short time with the kids we must make sure we do everything in our power to make sure they are better people for the experience. Because you never know where inspiration in a young person's life can come from.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Update: went to the tryouts this morning. I was pretty impressed with their level of energy and enthusiasm...and it really seems to rub off on the girls in a positive way. Found out one of the coaches is a coach/teacher for a middle school. Anyway, DD really didn't want to go, but she gave it her all. And...she was the only one they held back after tryouts, and offered her a spot right there. What I didn't know was that one coach asked DD what she primarily wants to play, and she said "Third Base" without hesitation. Coach was like "YES!" but said she could practically play anywhere...she is that good. So with that said, DD and I have had a heart-to-heart talk...we are going to put pitching on the back burner...she isn't that passionate about it. But she LOVES playing corners and outfield...more than pitching. I think that this will help her relax and really improve her game more. We have one more tryout in the morning, and then she will make up her mind.

The other team she tried out for on Wednesday night, they already have third basemen lined up (and these are coaches' daughters).

So if DD gives up the pitching lessons, that will help offset the monthly fees of this team. Sigh...we'll see.

Decisions, decisions...wait...not up to me...LOL.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Update: went to the tryouts this morning. I was pretty impressed with their level of energy and enthusiasm...and it really seems to rub off on the girls in a positive way. Found out one of the coaches is a coach/teacher for a middle school. Anyway, DD really didn't want to go, but she gave it her all. And...she was the only one they held back after tryouts, and offered her a spot right there. What I didn't know was that one coach asked DD what she primarily wants to play, and she said "Third Base" without hesitation. Coach was like "YES!" but said she could practically play anywhere...she is that good. So with that said, DD and I have had a heart-to-heart talk...we are going to put pitching on the back burner...she isn't that passionate about it. But she LOVES playing corners and outfield...more than pitching. I think that this will help her relax and really improve her game more. We have one more tryout in the morning, and then she will make up her mind.

The other team she tried out for on Wednesday night, they already have third basemen lined up (and these are coaches' daughters).

So if DD gives up the pitching lessons, that will help offset the monthly fees of this team. Sigh...we'll see.

Decisions, decisions...wait...not up to me...LOL.
Spending the money is still up to you.

Nov 29, 2009
Spending the money is still up to you.

These were the last words china could remember saying over and over again in last nights dream till the blinding light of reality rudely ended the bliss, awakening with the realization a daughter in the family played travel softball... A lone tear signaling the confirmation of the submission.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
These were the last words china could remember saying over and over again in last nights dream till the blinding light of reality rudely ended the bliss, awakening with the realization a daughter in the family played travel softball... A lone tear signaling the confirmation of the submission.

with proper fund raising my total and that it TOTAL fees paid in the past 3 years for travel softball stands at $30. No there aren't any zeros missing either. Add in the money spent on personal pitching lessons and the total is $30. I did pay $100 for a 5 day pitching camp a few years ago.

This year things will change, I have plans to take her to a coach to fine tune her pitching and to teach her a rise ball. Plus we changed teams so the fundraising is in question.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
China: Take your successful fundraising technique to the DD's new team & share it with the other parental units. You'll make a great ompression with the folks you'll be spending the next year with.

We are much harder on females out of college wanting to coach then we are on males.
I have baseball players in the family and every guy out of college is seen as a great fresh young talent, unless a father wants to coach the specific team in question. Some do, some don't, but they let go of their sons easier than their daughters.

So let's be real, if you coach and you are a dad, you always think you can coach better than a softball player out of college. These young women are not that stupid and typically do just fine. Again it is not rocket science, and again, the stereotype is that females are better at relationships and are so-called nicer, which is ironic when I read about the so-called exceptions. From my own experience, I was criticized for those two supposed "weaknesses" (ie, being a cream puff as I was called). I did not think they were weaknesses. Plus I was actually tough and fair, just not a hard rear screamer.

Anyone who has picked up a fastpitch bat or ball when you haven't since you were 12 (and it may have been baseball) may know a bit more about current (or any) softball practices.

In fact, the coaching tendencies ex-players have are more likely to come from their dads or other kids' parents who coached their teams, if they're hard asses or focused on the wrong things.

In the article I read, some hugely high percentage of girls will never see a female coach. And for the 2 percent that play in college, coaches are male 45 percent of the time in women's sports.

Lastly, more coaches are paid in travel baseball than in softball, so get used to it. It is the future.

I don't know if anybody said they could coach better than a new completed player out of college (of course I have been skimming). I would prefer to get a coach that was an ex-college player IF they can communicate and teach the kids how to get better and play. I have been around some that cannot do that. What good is all of that knowlege if you cannot communicate it? I also don't see a lot of women who competed at that level coaching in the area I am in because I usually try to get DD out to check out their teams because she tends to get along great with them because they have done what she wants to do.

I don't buy into the, "you have to be a hard rear" style of coaching. DD's coach now is not a yeller (her last one was) and he is constatly teaching them. He pushes them when they need it, but yelling is not part of his style and the girls respond to him. That old school mentality is disappearing and will go the way of the dinosaur before too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1