So Cal Ellie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I couldn't remember the first on the list when I got to the third... :LOL:

That's pretty much my point. This isn't about telling them all the little things they need to do, but about helping them program those adjustments so they don't have to think about it. Making muscle memory pattern changes takes time. Some changes take a LOT of time.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for those encouraging words, RichK. I needed to see this after last night's team session at the batting cages. Any suggestions on how to work on getting more and more stretch/resistance transferred to the barrel? Another player's dad was chatting with me and I was sharing some frustrations I had in the moment with him and he said he thought she was leaving power on the table. Goal is to get balls going OVER the other team's heads, right? ; )

The issues I saw last night involved not loading slow and early, not coiling enough and then bailing out of her rear hip early and her rear elbow initiating the swing (rather than having her elbow move as a result of starting to turn barrel).

A separate issue I saw night was swinging around the body rather than out from the body, which explains some of those mishits she gets from the barrel not staying in the zone long enough.
How was she actually hitting? I am the same as you, I was watching Marcela's team BP last night and at the beginning all I could see was what she was doing wrong that we have been trying to fix. Then I realized she was crushing the ball the whole time and took a breath.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How was she actually hitting? I am the same as you, I was watching her team BP last night and at the beginning all I could see was what she was doing wrong that we have been trying to fix. Then I realized she was crushing the ball the whole time and took a breath.

This is pretty typical for us people who are neck-deep in helping our kids learn this stuff. Take a look at the video I just posted in the new Maddie thread. She's comfortably driving balls 200+ with regularity, and I'm seeing the adjustments she still needs to make.

Jun 8, 2016
This is pretty typical for us people who are neck-deep in helping our kids learn this stuff. Take a look at the video I just posted in the new Maddie thread. She's comfortably driving balls 200+ with regularity, and I'm seeing the adjustments she still needs to make.
I've said this before, I need to borrow some rose colored glasses every so often. Mine appear to have a negative tint applied to them.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
How was she actually hitting? I am the same as you, I was watching Marcela's team BP last night and at the beginning all I could see was what she was doing wrong that we have been trying to fix. Then I realized she was crushing the ball the whole time and took a breath.

In terms of just results, she did better in her second round than her first. When she started her round, there was no loading at ALL, which is something I reminded her about before they started and something we have been focusing on lately. So a bad start. As a result, a lot of swinging late and missing. The machine wasn't too fast that she should've missed many, but she was missing. She hit a few good balls, but plenty of foul balls or weak contact.

Again, the second round was better for sure. And the conversation between rounds wasn't fun. Here's me, thinking I'm being helpful and reminding her about the things we've been working on, met with icy glares and annoyed "okay!"

I'm keeping my mouth shut for tomorrow's game. We just moved, and I have no idea what the movers did with our PowerNet and batting tee, so she's on her own until I can organize myself. Which is probably best for both of us.

Jun 8, 2016
In terms of just results, she did better in her second round than her first. When she started her round, there was no loading at ALL, which is something I reminded her about before they started and something we have been focusing on lately. So a bad start. As a result, a lot of swinging late and missing. The machine wasn't too fast that she should've missed many, but she was missing. She hit a few good balls, but plenty of foul balls or weak contact.

Again, the second round was better for sure. And the conversation between rounds wasn't fun. Here's me, thinking I'm being helpful and reminding her about the things we've been working on, met with icy glares and annoyed "okay!"

I'm keeping my mouth shut for tomorrow's game. We just moved, and I have no idea what the movers did with our PowerNet and batting tee, so she's on her own until I can organize myself. Which is probably best for both of us.
Machines are horrible for timing the load, etc imo, especially for young kids. If I was to have Marcela hit off a machine, which she hasn't in some time, I would have her do it from a SNF position.

Been there with the icy glares. For the most part I don't watch her team BP but the last few times I wanted to see her from the side since I haven't got video of her in a while since my wife's phone is on the fritz. I almost went over to say something but then saw she was laughing with her teammates and smacked myself in the head and sat down and continued drinking my Dunkin Donuts cold brew.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I try showing my DD slo mo video of Dicarlo or Donaldson or other good hitters. Little at a time (2 minutes). Ask her what she sees. Sometimes the answers are funny and sometimes they are very insightful. Or I will ask questions like, "where is the knob of the bat pointed when hitter front foot touches the ground? Get her involved in understanding what we are trying to accomplish. Then to the backyard to hit. Pictures are fresh in her memory. I like using concepts (pictures) such as throwing the barrel with your torso, load the glutes, stretch the rubber band, oily wrist ect. I have a blast sensor so we get instant feedback.

Pregame I just ask her what concept or picture are we going to work on today. Latest one is -show your sole and land open. (glutes)

May 16, 2019
At Ellie's age the goal should be fun but I'm just as guilty when it comes to coaching family. I told my 8 yr. old granddaughter during our lesson that if she can't feel what she's doing with her arm circle, maybe she should give up pitching. She took it fine but made sure to tell mom , dad, and grandma who didn't. My point is that the kids I see privately I have a different level of patience than with family but just because she's family she deserves the best we have to offer too. I need that deep breath too, enjoy the journey it passes really fast.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Thanks for sharing, Mike - it helps me feel like not such a monster ; )

Good to know that others deal with similar issues. I told Ellie last night that I'm not going to say one thing to her today before or during her game. She seemed happy about that, and then asked if I'd say anything to her after the game. I said only if she wanted to talk about it - and she said she might. So I'm leaving it there today. Now, if she completely disregards everything we've been talking about (hitting, catching, base running, throwing, etc), then maybe we'll chat Monday ; )

I'm the same way with coaching. My level of patience with others is far greater than with my own. When I managed tee ball teams, my assistant coaches and I made sure to not be by our own kids (they had my same issues).

Thanks for all of your support and guidance with Ellie - and thanks for putting up with my texts and DMs. And thank you Eric F for the introduction!