So Cal Ellie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
That's how DD's league is. We don't actually lose that many kids to other sports, and the ones we do are usually not the best players in the league. But fall is when kids move up to the next age group, so each age group sees an influx of kids who need time getting used to playing in a higher division. Plus, our fall ball always gets a bunch of girls who are new to softball. By the halfway point of the season it's always better.

Awesome. I think it's the influx of 6U graduates. According to our league, this is a record amount of fall ball players for them. So that's good. And, again, I didn't see three of the four evals. We'll see how it goes. Good time for Ellie to hone her skills, get the reps/dirt time she needs and get some experience being a leader on a team.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Update from tonight's scrimmage (fall games start on Saturday). Reminder 8U rec ball.

In our league, it's kid pitch until the pitcher walks a batter, then it's coach pitch. Ellie worked a 3-2 "walk", then coach came in and she fouled off a ball at her scalp, and then hit this liner. She's been struggling staying back and coming out of her back hip, so I feel like this is improvement. And she'd been struggling at swinging at bad pitches, and she did a good job tonight of not doing that.

A focus of late has been to get going slow and early, which she hasn't been able to carry over on to the field yet. So that's something we'll continue to focus on.

Jun 8, 2016
I'll trade you some of Marcela's slow and early if you can get Ellie to teach Marcela how to stride :LOL:
Anyway, nice swing and nice hit!!

Oct 2, 2017
Update from tonight's scrimmage (fall games start on Saturday). Reminder 8U rec ball.

In our league, it's kid pitch until the pitcher walks a batter, then it's coach pitch. Ellie worked a 3-2 "walk", then coach came in and she fouled off a ball at her scalp, and then hit this liner. She's been struggling staying back and coming out of her back hip, so I feel like this is improvement. And she'd been struggling at swinging at bad pitches, and she did a good job tonight of not doing that.

A focus of late has been to get going slow and early, which she hasn't been able to carry over on to the field yet. So that's something we'll continue to focus on.

Awesome Job!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like so much of what she's doing!! Yes, there is lots of work to do on the road ahead to continue improving, but I would put this way ahead of the curve for players her age. Great work, Ellie!! :)

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I like so much of what she's doing!! Yes, there is lots of work to do on the road ahead to continue improving, but I would put this way ahead of the curve for players her age. Great work, Ellie!! :)
Awesome Job!

Awww, thanks, guys. I'm such a nit-picker, that I reviewed the video again this morning while kids were getting ready for school, and got hung up on her rear elbow leading the way. But like Eric said, just one thing of many to work on, and yes, she is ahead of the curve for her age.

What I get encouraged about is our discussion afterwards - before bed last night we talked about the early/slow load and why it's important, I had her pick up a wiffle ball bat we had inside and threw an indoor-safe ball and had her loading early and holding and waiting to explode. She only swung about 3-4 times but she was getting the barrel out on time and driving, so we ended on a positive note about how it's beneficial to her swing, and we just need to put it in action on the dirt.

Jun 8, 2016
What I get encouraged about is our discussion afterwards - before bed last night we talked about the early/slow load and why it's important,
You are worse than me..I at least let Marcela sleep first before I go all Walt Hriniak on her :ROFLMAO:

(and for all you wiseasses who were going to say "no wonder she doesn't pick up what you are putting down, she is sleeping when you talk to her"...I let her sleep and get up before I say anything)

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
You are worse than me..I at least let Marcela sleep first before I go all Walt Hriniak on her :ROFLMAO:

(and for all you wiseasses who were going to say "no wonder she doesn't pick up what you are putting down, she is sleeping when you talk to her"...I let her sleep and get up before I say anything)

Yeah she wasn't in the mood. But I'm hard-headed and a dope. Showed her video of her at-bats, talked about positives and the load early/slow stuff, and she was rolled her eyes HARD when I gave her the bat. But afterwards you could see her excitement and positivty after she felt it and saw the positive results.

I'm glad you're here and open and honest and vulnerable, Pattar. While I'm worse, it's comforting to know there are other monsters here ; )

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28