So Cal Ellie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Machines are horrible for timing the load, etc imo, especially for young kids. If I was to have Marcela hit off a machine, which she hasn't in some time, I would have her do it from a SNF position.

I'd rethink this. Machines are the only reliable way at younger ages to get swings against speed. And they are excellent for practicing slow and early because if the ball doesn't come out when the hitter expects they are working on EXACTLY THAT -- a timing window that doesn't require a precise read of the ball in the air to be successful. Most kids can't hit off of a machine because they are NOT slow and early and thus have to see the ball coming at them initiate their swing and so if the drop into the feeder is even a bit off their timing is all messed up. A slow and early hitter -- especially one exaggerating and working on it in a training session -- simply rides her slow and early load a little longer and is still on time taking her swing to the ball when she see it in the air.

So I agree that command or SNF position swings against a machine is a useful drill to understand launch quickness and how to get rid of slack. But so is a slow and early rear leg ride against the machine that starts before the ball is in the air.

Oct 2, 2017
I'd rethink this. Machines are the only reliable way at younger ages to get swings against speed. And they are excellent for practicing slow and early because if the ball doesn't come out when the hitter expects they are working on EXACTLY THAT -- a timing window that doesn't require a precise read of the ball in the air to be successful. Most kids can't hit off of a machine because they are NOT slow and early and thus have to see the ball coming at them initiate their swing and so if the drop into the feeder is even a bit off their timing is all messed up. A slow and early hitter -- especially one exaggerating and working on it in a training session -- simply rides her slow and early load a little longer and is still on time taking her swing to the ball when she see it in the air.

So I agree that command or SNF position swings against a machine is a useful drill to understand launch quickness and how to get rid of slack. But so is a slow and early rear leg ride against the machine that starts before the ball is in the air.

My DD has told me that her issue with timing off of a machine is that the ball disappears in the machine then all of a sudden comes out. Even when starting slow and early. When off a pitcher whether soft toss, or full speed pitching she is able to see the ball the whole way.

Would a 3 plate drill be a better way to go for timing and reaction quickness?

Jun 8, 2016

Fair enough, although I know a few on here will have take issue with your ride the rear leg... ;) Still don't see the need for machines. What you said can be worked on with front toss and if done correctly there is no real need to see speed from an actual pitching distance imo.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"So I agree that command or SNF position swings against a machine is a useful drill to understand launch quickness and how to get rid of slack. But so is a slow and early rear leg ride against the machine that starts before the ball is in the air. "

This is correct.

Machine should be fed with a windmill delivery. It is not perfect but hitters need to see ball at 50 plus mph to prepare for game situation. All the front toss in the world will not get them ready for the heat.

May 12, 2016

I disagree with this.. I mean, yes slow and early is fine and good thing IMO. However with a machine there is no lead up (Pitchers sequence before the ball is released). So even if the hitter is slow and early, their timing is messed up.. they have nothing to reference, no wind up, nothing. You can ride the rear leg forward, but you still need to get that front foot down/heel planted.. and this is the part the hitters rush and force in order to be on time. So being slow and early does not resolve timing issues when hitting off a machine. You can still be slow and early and rush barrel delivery sequence when hitting off a machine. Like somebody else mentioned, the ball disappears and all of sudden it's rushing towards you.

Additionally the trajectory of a machine ball is different than a pitched ball... I prefer front to do front toss any day over machine fed. Game speed can still emulated in front toss... the only issue is distance

Sep 17, 2009
I disagree with this.. I mean, yes slow and early is fine and good thing IMO. However with a machine there is no lead up (Pitchers sequence before the ball is released). So even if the hitter is slow and early, their timing is messed up.. they have nothing to reference, no wind up, nothing. You can ride the rear leg forward, but you still need to get that front foot down/heel planted.. and this is the part the hitters rush and force in order to be on time. So being slow and early does not resolve timing issues when hitting off a machine. You can still be slow and early and rush barrel delivery sequence when hitting off a machine. Like somebody else mentioned, the ball disappears and all of sudden it's rushing towards you.

Additionally the trajectory of a machine ball is different than a pitched ball... I prefer front to do front toss any day over machine fed. Game speed can still emulated in front toss... the only issue is distance
Fair enough. It's just another tool. I always find my best hitters adjust just fine to machine pitch and my less-than-best hitters struggle.

May 12, 2016
Fair enough. It's just another tool. I always find my best hitters adjust just fine to machine pitch and my less-than-best hitters struggle.
It's all good... I see the exact opposite, hitters making contact with the ball in the cage despite poor mechanics.. and then struggling big time with live pitching

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Self-depricating update:

Ellie used a 27/15 in spring. Over the summer, I bought two bats from ebay on accident - I meant to pick up an Axe 29/17, but I also purchased a 30/18, not realizing until one of the bids ended that one of the bats was too big.

So since about August she's been using her new bat. JUST YESTERDAY I realized that she's been using the 30/18 the whole time. Epic fail.

In terms of season's play, her team just went 4-0 to win the midseason tournament - her first piece of hardware. She wears the medal any time she's not at school. Usually the tournament is the last time coach pitch is used during the season (kid pitch until four balls). However, for some reason, the league decided to make it strictly kid pitch. She got hit or walked a ton, scored a lot of runs, but struggled not seeing many strikes and the extra large strike zones.

Point is, I'm an idiot. Curious to see if the extra inch/ounce make much of a difference.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Self-depricating update:

Ellie used a 27/15 in spring. Over the summer, I bought two bats from ebay on accident - I meant to pick up an Axe 29/17, but I also purchased a 30/18, not realizing until one of the bids ended that one of the bats was too big.

So since about August she's been using her new bat. JUST YESTERDAY I realized that she's been using the 30/18 the whole time. Epic fail.

In terms of season's play, her team just went 4-0 to win the midseason tournament - her first piece of hardware. She wears the medal any time she's not at school. Usually the tournament is the last time coach pitch is used during the season (kid pitch until four balls). However, for some reason, the league decided to make it strictly kid pitch. She got hit or walked a ton, scored a lot of runs, but struggled not seeing many strikes and the extra large strike zones.

Point is, I'm an idiot. Curious to see if the extra inch/ounce make much of a difference.

Especially at smaller sizes, an extra inch and/or ounce is a pretty big change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles