Small colleges - MPH

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
"Radar Grandpa" has over 23K+ views of this Youtube video....I wonder how many of those were DFP members? I also would love to see a VH-1 "where are they now" special on his DGD. This video was done in Feb 2009, so I figure Rebecca (the pitcher in the video) is getting close to college age!

Jun 18, 2010
This matches my experience watching a NAIA game last year, one pitcher threw about 60 (that was Cal State San Marcos- moving to DIV II soon), their other pitcher was mid 50s, the pitcher for their opponent, College of the Redlands, was low 50s.

I boiled this down to my kid the other day, I told her that she is already good enough to pitch in college, but she may not want to play for Southeastern-Alaska State University so keep working hard.

Is that the same school as U-rear? University of Alaska South State?

Mar 26, 2013
This matches my experience watching a NAIA game last year, one pitcher threw about 60 (that was Cal State San Marcos- moving to DIV II soon), their other pitcher was mid 50s, the pitcher for their opponent, College of the Redlands, was low 50s.
Redlands is NCAA Div III. San Marcos is in the first year of the transition process to NCAA Div II, as is Concordia (Irvine).

With the successful application for NCAA DII membership, CSUSM will now enter a minimum three-year transition period before earning full NCAA status. The Cougars will remain in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Association of Independent Institutions (A.I.I.) for the 2014-15 academic year. During this time, the department will work towards meeting NCAA first-year requirements.

During the second year of the candidacy period, CSUSM athletic schedules would begin to include CCAA members, but the Cougars would not be eligible for postseason competition. During the third year of the transition, CSUSM would be granted provisional membership into NCAA Division II and would continue to play a CCAA conference schedule, but would still not be able to compete in the NCAA DII postseason.

CSUSM would gain full NCAA Division II member status in the fall of 2017 as long as all benchmarks are met during the transition process, and be eligible to compete in the NCAA DII postseason during the 2017-18 academic year.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This thread is depressing. You were supposed to tell me no way, your radar is broke. Either that or that we witnessed an anomaly.

Nope...not an anomaly. In fact you probably saw some very reasonable pitching for the conference. There is some great softball and some, well, awful softball played in colleges. That is to be expected - there are 1700+ college teams. It is not hard to be a pitcher and pitch in college if that is what you want to do - it is however hard to be good enough to pitch on a good softball team.

Figure you need 4 pitchers per team - that is minimally 6,800 pitchers who actually get innings. Probably closer to 9000-10,000 actual pitchers on teams.

Now think about the pool that players are pulled from. The best you see on TV at the power conferences, the next level down is between mid-major D1 and top D2 and D3 programs. Add in top NAIA schools and some top pitchers who need to go to Junior College for whatever reason and there goes the top group of talent that people think can REALLY pitch.

Now add player who don't stick with it in college or decide not to continue to play in college and the pool gets smaller and smaller. I can name 6 girls who currently attend the University of Florida who are D1 talent pitchers but fit in one of those two categories and are not on the team. And that is just girls I know at that one school. College rosters are very heavily made up of freshman and sophomores.

The pool is small. You want to attend SSW Dinky State who went 3-45 last year and you can pitch - well they will be thrilled to have you.

My DD used to go to a Pitching Coach who says every girl who has stayed with him through end of high school was offered a spot in college. Talk to him privately and he will tell you that some of these girls were not all that talented, but pitchers are in massive demand in mid-low programs. Last year he placed all 6 of his seniors and they all had 10+ offers from all sorts of colleges. One girl had 16 D3 offers. He told me he thinks he could have placed 20 girls easily if he had them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pitchers will always be in demand and if you can throw 55+ MPH there is some school somewhere who would love to have you!

Tonight at my DD's pitching lesson I was talking with another bucket dad whose DD is a 2016 pitcher. He was amazed at how many smaller schools were interested in his DD when they started looking outside GA. With the Hope scholarship and the number of TB teams in GA it is very competitive and 60+ MPH pitchers seem to grow on trees. Get to an area where TB is less popular and coaches would love to have a mid-50's pitcher.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
grmerrill finds another "Radar Grandpa" classic! This one only has 8.9K views, so it is more obscure than the original.

Oct 22, 2009
Pitchers will always be in demand and if you can throw 55+ MPH there is some school somewhere who would love to have you!

Tonight at my DD's pitching lesson I was talking with another bucket dad whose DD is a 2016 pitcher. He was amazed at how many smaller schools were interested in his DD when they started looking outside GA. With the Hope scholarship and the number of TB teams in GA it is very competitive and 60+ MPH pitchers seem to grow on trees. Get to an area where TB is less popular and coaches would love to have a mid-50's pitcher.

I have one that throws around 54mph. She had a lot of small schools wanting her but all outside TX. So she chose the one she liked best and was closest. Weird too, because of all my seniors this is the one that never took pitching serious and she's the only one that pursued it after high school.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
This thread is depressing. You were supposed to tell me no way, your radar is broke. Either that or that we witnessed an anomaly.

So what you're saying is if a pitcher doesn't throw 60+ she doesn't deserve to play college ball somewhere??

Did you enjoy the games you watched? Good defense? Good hitting? If so, what's the problem?

If your DD pitches 60+, good for you and her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi