Small colleges - MPH

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
This weekend my daughter and I went to a double header between last years conference champ and a middle of the conference team. Talking NAIA. During the first game, both pitchers topped out at 61. During the second game there was a total of four different pitchers used. The max speed in that group was an occasional 56 with most working 52-55 and changes were coming in at 41. Are these readings possible/typical or do I need to get my ball coach pocket radar checked out? :cool:

The fielding on both teams was very solid, as was how hard they played the game. Pitching was the big surprise. With no daddy goggles around, is this somewhat typical?

Jan 11, 2015
This weekend my daughter and I went to a double header between last years conference champ and a middle of the conference team. Talking NAIA. During the first game, both pitchers topped out at 61. During the second game there was a total of four different pitchers used. The max speed in that group was an occasional 56 with most working 52-55 and changes were coming in at 41. Are these readings possible/typical or do I need to get my ball coach pocket radar checked out? :cool:

The fielding on both teams was very solid, as was how hard they played the game. Pitching was the big surprise. With no daddy goggles around, is this somewhat typical?
I saw a thing a couple of weeks ago on one of the top of the recruiting web sites that each level look for.
D3 55-56mph
D2 58-60mph
D1 63+

Now we know that it isnt a must, or those schools that those smaller schools are not looking for better. I have seen my daughter pitch with d3 sighnees who she throws harder than as a freshman in high school.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD and I were at a D3 double header yesterday. We did not have radar with us, so this is just my impression, but I think your numbers could be very accurate. For one team, the pitcher from game 1 was probably low 60s and game 2 was probably high 50s. For the other team, the game 1 pitcher was probably mid to high 50s and the other was low to mid 50s. Just basing this off my eye sight and comparing to DDs actual speed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

The only surprise was the two topping out at 61. The numbers for the second game are pretty typical.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I saw a girl in D2 last year who topped out at 47. She was awful and so was her team, but she was playing college softball. She led their staff with an ERA over 7 and she even was awarded conference pitcher of the week once.

So yeah, there were two WORSE pitchers on her team (eras of 8 and 13).

And her team won 16 games. So they weren't even the worse team in their conference - they went 10-13 in conference games.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Some NAIA teams may have one pitcher in the 60's, but their #2 and #3 will be in the 50's, unless "Radar Grandpa" is gunning them!

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
unless "Radar Grandpa" is gunning them!

So I read this and am hysterially laughing to myself thinking about how Gramps was jabbing the radar gun in front of the catcher with each pitch and excitedly announcing the MPH. My husband asks me what I'm laughing at and I can barely get the words out I'm laughing so much. Then he starts laughing because he's seen the video and knows what I'm talking about.

Can someone repost for our enjoyment?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This matches my experience watching a NAIA game last year, one pitcher threw about 60 (that was Cal State San Marcos- moving to DIV II soon), their other pitcher was mid 50s, the pitcher for their opponent, College of the Redlands, was low 50s.

I boiled this down to my kid the other day, I told her that she is already good enough to pitch in college, but she may not want to play for Southeastern-Alaska State University so keep working hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802