Small Breakthroughs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
Overall this spring my DD and our team have been off to a slow start. It has been really wet on the weekends up in the Northwest so far this year. Pitching has been mediocre after what looked like a pretty promising winter.
But yesterday we had a couple of little breakthroughs that I wanted to share.

While watching prerecorded college softball I was once again preparing to pause and slo-mo the next pitcher we saw and said "I want to see what she's doing, that just doesn't look right". When my 12yo DD replied "Not again!! Can't we just watch it, I can already tell you she is collapsing her front leg and sort of bending over like what I'm trying not to do." I focused in and she was right. Can I just say I was beaming with pride!!

Then on our way home from practice last night we were talking about her spin axis, and comments she is dealing with on this, and I was going to try to encourage her when she said "I think it's because of trying to learn to get more whip, my release is changing, so I'm trying not to worry too much about it right now." Which is exactly what I was going to tell her but hadn't told her before since I was trying to make it a non-issue right now as I know she is thinking about a lot of pieces and didn't want to add one more piece at this point.

Needless to say even though speed doesn't really seem to be increasing much right now, and location has been way off, I felt like her understanding and knowledge has jumped ahead and that felt like a huge step in the right direction.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Awesome stuff!

Hey--better break out the sunglasses and suntan lotion! We're in for some crazy, warm weather!

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
It's great she is taking the long view, it's easy to get frustrated when changing things up. DD is way better at that I am...

80s by Wednesday!

Jun 19, 2013
I'll bet your DD is a high achiever in the classroom also.......from above, she is very perceptive. Way more than most.

She is a good student. And pretty much all her and I know about pitching we've gleaned from DFP and great posters such as yourself and Ken!! So glad to have this amazing resource.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
After it hit 60 today, my DD was about to melt because it was so hot. Playing her game today was like heaven it was so nice. It sure beats pitching in the mud and rain.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
LOL, there are enough of us from the NW here to start a DFP support group. Help us all remember WE are not the crazy ones with the serious lack of information that is being sold as pitching instruction around here.

Jun 19, 2013
I was thinking the same thing - nice to know you're not the only ones not able to play year round outdoors too!! If it wasn't for this site it would feel very lonely!

Looks like the weather is still supposed to hold through Saturday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06