Small '03 catcher, Mitt size?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2012
My dd is catching half the time now on my travel team and needs a catchers mitt. She is 9 and roughly 52" tall, 65lbs. she wears a YS batting glove, her fielding glove is a 12". Question is, what size catchers glove? Her older sister is using a 33" and is to big. Looked at the local stores for sizing, everything i found in softball catchers mitts is a 33". Which leads me to ordering one. Looking for help on sizing. Thanks in advance!!

Apr 1, 2010
You might have her try the Mizuno GXS-101 youth mitt. It's listed as a 32.5" glove, but I've heard it runs small.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The GSX 101 is a smaller mitt, but my catchers that have used them report that they don't last too long. They tend not to hold their shape after a single season. (Fingers tend to roll over) It's inexpensive, but it tends to be a throw away mitt. What brand/model is sis's mitt? Is it just too big for her hand size and the glove falls off or seem too big for her to handle proficiently? How serious is the travel team? (Competitive level) With younger catchers I try to have them focus on a glove that fits the hand size and not worry and the circumference. (Some 33 inch mitts are flat with shallow pockets and look like dinner plates, others have really deep pockets and look more like a 31 inch mitt)

Some of my younger players like the fit, light weight and easy handling of the L/S Valkerie. Easton Synergy's are a bit heavier and have a stiffer palm, but works well also. Both mitts will last several seasons with proper care.
-Chaz @ ACC

Aug 13, 2012
Her big sis is using an easton natural ellite 33". Seems to fall off her hand. Although it looks like a small mitt, it just seems to swallow her hand. Her travel team is fairly serious. Have played in several tournaments and expect to play in several more. Right now she is in the back yard using one of my old mizuno baseball catchers mitts playing catch with her sister!!!lol its good and broke in, plus being somewhere around 25 years old!!lol!! I think i will check into the mizuno, i am partial to the brand anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid