Slow Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2012
My DD is 12 and she is a really slow runner. For lack of a better description she runs like a duck, feet pointed out. We are trying to get her to point her feet in the direction she is running but any help would be great.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
She may have physical limitations. There are usually good track and field coaches and instructors that can work with her to help her learn how to run properly. This is worth it, IMHO.

Alternatively, you can do what we did in the South. Put a pork chop in her back pocket and have her hop the fence to "play" with the neighbors pit bulls. I promise you she will figure out that running thing.

-W

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Simple solution...hit the ball out of the yard every time!!

Otherwise, go with starsnuffer's first recommendation.

;)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
feet pointed out is not something that is corrected by just trying. If that was the case I would walk and run much better. See a doctor she might need corrective orthotics.

Jun 24, 2013
I know I sat on the ground incorrectly when I was small and my feet kick out when I run. I only know this because they warned us about DD and made sure she was sitting correctly. I know some coaches tried to correct how I ran but nothing they did or said was going to change how my legs/ joints grew.

As others have suggested I would start with a physical trainer or her personal physician to see if what you post can even be corrected at this point.

Even if it cannot you can still work on her speed. First I would work with her on making decisions quickly and getting a good leadoff. Then maybe work with a track coach or physical therapist to see how she can gain more speed.

A few facilities around here have programs to help with speed and strength that are not sports specific. You can look at facilities in your area to see if they have similar programs.

Jun 24, 2013
My DD had to go through physical therapy to help straighten her feet out. She was a P so sometimes when she would land, her plant foot would turn too much and she would end up hurting her hip. Ask your Dr about it. She might need help like mine did. Now she does much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi