Slingshot windup video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think the slingshot is a important pitch to learn. Most of us on here that coach probably use the slingshot as a warm up tool anyway. I wouldn't throw it back to back to back like this guy, but that's just me. We use it now and then as an off speed pitch. We use a much quicker arm speed than this too. Seems to work better with DD's with a fastball close to 60 or better. Because once the batter realizes the sling is coming, it's too late. It's a great tool to keep batters off balance.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I think the slingshot is a important pitch to learn. Most of us on here that coach probably use the slingshot as a warm up tool anyway. I wouldn't throw it back to back to back like this guy, but that's just me. We use it now and then as an off speed pitch. We use a much quicker arm speed than this too. Seems to work better with DD's with a fastball close to 60 or better. Because once the batter realizes the sling is coming, it's too late. It's a great tool to keep batters off balance.

I agree and that is one of the things I taught most of my students. However, I did not teach them this particular wimd up. This is the one that a few of the old timers referred to as the 'Slingshot', as I recall from when I was fairly young. A few nice old timer pitchers took the time to show me a little. They called themselves that, figure 8 pitchers, submarine pitchers and a few more I dont recall.

What they stressed was that if the timing was not absolutely correct AND you tried throwing real hard, you could hurt your shoulder. I tried them all as best I understood and found out my timing was NOT correct and yeah, felt like someone was trying to yank my arm out of the shoulder socket from behind. I tried several but only felt comfortable with one and I got real good with it.

My advice to all is; dont do the wind up in tjis video quickly and if possible, find an instructor that knows how to teach it. These were all step style wind ups.

The one that I taught students is in my book. The 'SoftbaLL Submarine' wind up.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You are correct. I have seen some have this jerky backswing motion when throwing the slingshot. I sit there and think "dang that looks like it hurts". I taught mine a slower backswing with an explosive delivery. To add a little spice we will take some off from time to time to slow it down close to change up speed. But mostly as an off speed. ( bout 5 mph off ) We do not stretch the arm so far out as he does in this video either, keep it tight. Seems to save the elbows and shoulders.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
doesn't this style of pitching ruin the shoulder???

Yes, you must be very careful with the slingshot and screw. Both can hurt or even cause damage if not thrown properly. I don't usually say this, but if you want to learn these pitches I would recommend a good pitching instructor. If you try to learn these on your own you may not feel the 'hurt' until the 'damage' is done. Resulting in valuable time off while recuperating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz