slap defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Just curious how some of you cover the slap, I have done it multiple ways myself but always looking for ways to improve, this is an experienced 16u team.

Oct 10, 2010
I coach A level second year 12/U team, so I don't see the same talent level as you, but the only thing I really do is pull my second basemen in tight. My SS will take a few steps in, but I don't want her to tight.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not all slappers are created equal! How fast is the slapper? Can she also hit for power? Does she truly slap or is it more of a drag bunt? Can she power slap?

How you are going to pitch a slapper should also help determine how you position your defense. Are you going to bust her inside or pitch her away? Throw a change up to disrupt her timing?

Best defense for a slapper is pitch her inside!.....my DD is a slapper at the gold level (and a ss so she gets to see slapping from both sides) and if I had to guess I would say she sees about 90 percent of her pitches outside and does very well slapping on outside pitches not as well on inside pitches now she does soft slap, slap for power, bunt , drag bunt, hit for power etc. but inside pitches gives her more trouble than outside. My DD travel team covers the slap depending on who's slapping if its just a soft slapper bunter the whole infield moves in drastically(farther in you play the smaller the holes between players.....if she can power salp or hit away then we use basic slap defense move 2nd base in leave everyone else same......

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
As a slap hit instructor, I love to see the defense play either deep or shallow and I hate to see them play "neutral" with corners in 20 feet and middle infielders in the base path. Deep or shallow is easy pickins for an experienced slapper/hitter. And please bring those outfielders in near the dirt...please...we like triples.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I play my defense aggressive to begin with. My 3B is already around the 30' mark and 1B is around the 40'. If I get a slapper, the only change I make is to pull my RF and LF in a little bit to around 140' and move them more towards the gaps by a few steps.

edit to add: It's a completely different situation if I've seen the player before and know what she's capable of. Then I would tailor my defensive response to her ability.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
As a slap hit instructor, I love to see the defense play either deep or shallow and I hate to see them play "neutral" with corners in 20 feet and middle infielders in the base path. Deep or shallow is easy pickins for an experienced slapper/hitter. And please bring those outfielders in near the dirt...please...we like triples.

Agree, good slappers read the defense and adjust. They can soft slap, hard slap, drag bunt,..... And if you get a slapper that will stay straight with her feet, inside can kill them. If they fade toward first, low and out.

But you see the corners in, middle IF back and OF shallow as a pretty common set.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Just curious how some of you cover the slap, I have done it multiple ways myself but always looking for ways to improve, this is an experienced 16u team.

If the slapper is skilled, then there really isn't anyway to defend it. At best you are guessing or hoping for a mistake by the slapper.

Play my DD however you want, but she will do her best to take advantage of what you are giving her. Play her in and she will drop one between the infielder and outfielders. Play her back and here comes the soft slap or drag. Play her too far in and she will power slap to over the outfielders. Mix in a little speed and that equals extra bases while you run for the ball.

Lets also consider that most slappers can hit away too, so if the defense is set up in a manner that she doesn't like, then just take one to the base of the fence (that's as far as my DD can get one right now :) )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah