SKs: How would you score this AB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
R1 on 2b, R2 on 1b. BR hits one hopper to P's left. P fields the ball, spins to throw out R1 at 3b and holds ball (R1 already at, near 3b), then turns to throw out R2 at 2b and holds ball (R2 at/near 2b), then throws to 1b to force BR but throw is a hair late and BR is safe.

I scored it a FC but want to give a single if appropriate.

How would you score it? Thanks.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Definitely not a single.
I'm not sure if it's a fielder's choice because she didn't throw to another base to get that out. Wouldn't it only be a fielder's choice if they get an out at another base other than 1B?
Since it should have been an easy out at 1B, I'm thinking it's an error. It doesn't have to be a physical mistake to be an error. But then again, I could be wrong!

This is a good one!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Definitely not a single.
I'm not sure if it's a fielder's choice because she didn't throw to another base to get that out. Wouldn't it only be a fielder's choice if they get an out at another base other than 1B?
Since it should have been an easy out at 1B, I'm thinking it's an error. It doesn't have to be a physical mistake to be an error. But then again, I could be wrong!

This is a good one!

A fielder's choice doesn't require an out or a throw. For example, let's say runner at 2nd, ground ball to SS. The SS chases the runner going to third but fails to make a tag, then throws to first, safe. Not a single unless scorekeeper believes batter would've beaten an immediate throw. I've given fielder's choices even for looking a runner back if it were obvious that this allowed the runner to be safe.

Mar 26, 2013
A fielder's choice doesn't require an out or a throw. For example, let's say runner at 2nd, ground ball to SS. The SS chases the runner going to third but fails to make a tag, then throws to first, safe. Not a single unless scorekeeper believes batter would've beaten an immediate throw. I've given fielder's choices even for looking a runner back if it were obvious that this allowed the runner to be safe.
That's correct per NCAA scoring rules...

14.7 Fielder’s Choice
A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations:
14.7.1 To a batter:
14.7.1.4 When a base runner is checked and no throw or a late throw is made, but the base runner would have been out had the initial play gone to first base.

The "no throw or a late throw is made" pertains to first base, not the checked base runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach