Simulating pitch behind pitcher's plate.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
USSSA game this weekend. The other teams pitcher was loosing her control and started practicing her arm circle while in the pitcher's circle behind the pitcher's plate. On some arm circles she had the ball, on others she did not.

USSSA Rule 6 Sec 1 a:

The pitcher may not take the pitching position on the pitcher's plate
without possession of the ball, and the pitcher may not simulate pitching
with or without the ball when near the pitcher's plate.

Is this a violation of the rule? If so, what are the consequences?

Jun 22, 2008
Pitchers do this all the time. As for being near the pitching plate there is no defitinion of "near" but in my opinion I would say within a foot or 2 of the pitching plate.

If the umpire did rule it to be illegal, it is a pitching infraction and would be in illegal pitch.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Was the batter in the box, ready to hit while this was going on? Had the umpire signaled "Play"? Like Comp said, pitchers do this all the time. Umpires are only going to call a rule infraction if it is clear the pitcher is trying to deceive the batter, which is why the rule was written.

Jun 18, 2010
Was the batter in the box, ready to hit while this was going on? Had the umpire signaled "Play"? Like Comp said, pitchers do this all the time. Umpires are only going to call a rule infraction if it is clear the pitcher is trying to deceive the batter, which is why the rule was written.

Thank you. Yes there was a batter in the box, and also a runner on first base. None of our coaches raised the issue, I am not even sure any of the coaches new about the rule. DD is getting smart about pitching and asked me about it. She has read the pitching rules several times and wants to be prepared, she is the one that brought it to my attention. I told her I would post here and let her read the responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00