Should the game be modified in today's age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
**Looking to see what you think here*** This has become a topic of conversation with me and two former Div 1 players as I coach their DD's. I thought I would pose it to you all and start a discussion on the subject....

With more exposure (which is great) in recent years to the sport of Softball we are seeing better and more competitive levels of play in many places especially at HS and College levels. With the increase in knowledge of the game, better coaching due to more history and access to information (I am referring to both game knowledge and strength/conditioning) and better equipment made with newer more efficient materials.....

Should softball consider changing the field to adjust to the newer more competitive level of play?

Should the field be moved to 70' base lengths, 45-48' pitching distances and stretch the centerfield wall out to 250'?

Cannot wait to here your opinions! Enjoy. :D

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
One of the major draws to FP, at least for me is the speed of the game. I'm not saying that the fence couldn't be moved back (especially with the ever increasing bat technolgy) but I would prefer the IF base length to remain the same. With better athletes, both at the hitting and pitching positions, it's more of a classic pitching/batter duel than ever before.JMHO

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't think so. Fences moved back maybe. Change maximum drop requirements and/or specs on bats to make them less hot, sure I'd be all for that. But the I'd leave the bases and mound distance alone.

I mean would anyone really seriously suggest moving the pitchers mound from 60'6" to 63" and the bases from 90' -> 100" in baseball?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
**Looking to see what you think here*** This has become a topic of conversation with me and two former Div 1 players as I coach their DD's. I thought I would pose it to you all and start a discussion on the subject....

With more exposure (which is great) in recent years to the sport of Softball we are seeing better and more competitive levels of play in many places especially at HS and College levels. With the increase in knowledge of the game, better coaching due to more history and access to information (I am referring to both game knowledge and strength/conditioning) and better equipment made with newer more efficient materials.....

Should softball consider changing the field to adjust to the newer more competitive level of play?

Should the field be moved to 70' base lengths, 45-48' pitching distances and stretch the centerfield wall out to 250'?

Cannot wait to here your opinions! Enjoy. :D

I too enjoy the fast pace of this game. I might, just might be inclined to 65' bases. 70 is just too much IMO.

Pitching distance should stay the same, heck 43' in youth has already changed the game. Games in TB and HS use to be 1-2, maybe 3-4. Now they are higher scoring games 6-7 7-8. ( not all of coarse but the score % have increased )

Walls should all be regulated to 225'.

In 6 years you can change the bases to 100', pitching to 60', and walls to 500'. DD will be done. :)

Apr 1, 2010
Ah, this can of worms again! :)

My vote is still for no change. I really like the speed of fastpitch. When I watch baseball now, it drives me crazy. For example, watching a SS or 3rd baseman field a grounder and throw to first... For crying out loud, it usually seems like they could go out for coffee with all the time they have. Zzzzzzz.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Ah, this can of worms again! :)

My vote is still for no change. I really like the speed of fastpitch. When I watch baseball now, it drives me crazy. For example, watching a SS or 3rd baseman field a grounder and throw to first... For crying out loud, it usually seems like they could go out for coffee with all the time they have. Zzzzzzz.

I LOVE IT! In Baseball they have so much stinking time. I do not like it when baseball dad's tell me the girls should work more on double plays (at age 10) and I just ignore them and walk off. I want to see them play with a group of talented teens and see if they can keep up on a short field. The defense must really be on their toes and a lot of anticipation is involved. There is little time for looking around. With 60' base lengths a runner is on top of you in a heart beat. I am merely playing devil's advocate a bit here. Personally, I do think base length could be moved to maybe....65' and outfield fence out to 235'. It would equalize some things and increase scores a bit but still be a fast game of quick reflexes...

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
To you I would ask....Why were the bases set at 60' and not matched to baseball length's? Were girls considered inferior when the game originated? Now I think not....My new favorite saying is..."Go Ahead! Hit Like A Girl!" meant in a very sarcastic way as to say since when are girls less then great at sport? I was never sure why we had to give them optic yellow balls and shorter fields? Maybe we should give little league boys optic yellow balls for their games. (oops better be careful as with so many worried about every little injury we may see this happen)
Despite my aimless banter does anyone know why a shorter field for softball? Now I have myself thinking based on Sweet Lou's comment.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I don't think so. Fences moved back maybe. Change maximum drop requirements and/or specs on bats to make them less hot, sure I'd be all for that. But the I'd leave the bases and mound distance alone.

I mean would anyone really seriously suggest moving the pitchers mound from 60'6" to 63" and the bases from 90' -> 100" in baseball?

In retort I would ask...Why were the bases set at 60' and not matched to baseball length's to begin with? Were girls considered inferior when the game originated? Now I think not....My new favorite saying is..."I Hit Like A Girl!" meant in a very sarcastic yet proud way as if to say.. Since when are girls less then great at sport? I was never sure why we had to give them optic yellow balls and shorter fields? Maybe we should give little league boys optic yellow balls for their games. (oops better be careful as with so many worried about every little injury we may see this happen)
Despite my aimless banter does anyone know why a shorter field for softball? Now I have myself thinking based on Sweet Lou's comment.

Nov 29, 2009
After going through the mill with my DD's the only change I would like to see is the bats dialed back. I see too many girls who have no business hitting dingers over the 190' fences doing so.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't know the history of the game, but I am pretty sure the distance of the bases were decided when it was a male dominated sport and has nothing to do with any perceived inferiority of girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1