Should I just give it up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wish I knew then what I know now.I say do it.Don't get old like me and have regrets.You read stories all the time of "older" players on college teams.You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.Good luck.

Jun 22, 2008
Its never to late to give it a shot. Back in the 90's a juco used a 60 something year old to pitch that still had eligibility. This year the juco div II national championship team used as I recall a 37 year old to pitch them to the championship.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Its never to late to give it a shot. Back in the 90's a juco used a 60 something year old to pitch that still had eligibility. This year the juco div II national championship team used as I recall a 37 year old to pitch them to the championship.

Since Comp and I live in the same area, I know exactly who he is referring to. As I was reading through this thread, I was going to post this same example. As my teenage kids say....YOLO! (you only live once)

Go for it!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is one potential problem you will face if you make the team = travel. You might be gone for a couple of days at a time. Your family would have to be willing to jump in and take care of the little one. It sounds like you love the game and so, if you have the support system, go for it. The fear of not knowing is awful hard to overcome in one's life.

Jun 22, 2008
May I ask what college? I may add it to dd's list of colleges to go see. Go for it!

As memory serves it was Mesa Community College that used the 60 something year old back in the 90's. It was Phoenix College that just won the national championship with the 37 year old.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I know a girl who went to a local D1 school after community college.
She went to the softball coach's office and asked when practices start.
She just showed up to practice and became a 2 year starter, coach didn't care
about her previous life, was only interested in the athlete. Good Luck!

Jul 22, 2012
you are coming back to school to get your degree and hopefully start coaching at the high school level when you graduate and would like a chance to walk-on and want to know what the process would be.

Another big reason I'd like to play. I mentioned I want to give girls the opportunities I missed out on, and even if I didn't get to play, I'd like to be involved with a college softball program just for the experience. Water girl anyone? ;)

Here is one potential problem you will face if you make the team = travel. You might be gone for a couple of days at a time. Your family would have to be willing to jump in and take care of the little one. It sounds like you love the game and so, if you have the support system, go for it. The fear of not knowing is awful hard to overcome in one's life.

This is another huge hold up for me too. I did look at last year's schedule, and they played mostly in state games, only going out of state for 2 or 3 tournaments. I'm a little afraid that if I did make the team I would have a hard time with the travel part, and I do NOT want to be the player that makes a commitment, then backs out on it. That is not my personality at all, and I don't want to give that impression.

Quick question about walk ons? I guess I don't fully understand that. I thought you had to be invited to practice or tryouts then if they liked you, you were a 'walk on' meaning you weren't recruited. Someone mentioned just showing up to a practice unannounced? Not that I'm going to, but as an example are you saying that I could just show up to an Arizona practice and ask Candrea if I could shag a few balls? That seems a little out there to me, kinda like party crashing. I know I am comparing Arizona to a NAIA school, but still seems crazy.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Maybe it is a requirement, but the schools that I am familiar with, announce when tryouts are. If you just show up and make it, you are a walk on. There are some girls that are invited walk ons. All that means is that there are no more scholarships and the coach thinks that you would help the team.

Do you mind saying what state you are in?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06