Should I just give it up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2012
Random but I was hoping for some opinions.

I have played slowpitch softball since I was 9. I played varsity 1st base and pitcher in high school 4 years, where we made back to back state tournament appearances which was history made for the school. They had never had a successful softball team before. My Sophomore year they started a fastpitch team. (it was a poor school in rural Oklahoma) I played Varsity 1st base 3 years. We won our district my Jr. and Senior Years.

I graduated in 2007 and am 23 years old. It has burned me everyday that I didn't try college softball. Literally I get emotional every time I think about it. I just didn't think that coming from a rural place, I would ever be good enough to play. I didn't know such things existed as travel ball, etc. Then I went to Jr. College and saw girls on their team that played for teams we consistently run ruled and walked all over in high school.

I got my assc degree, got married and had a baby. She is 1 now. And i'm going to be attending an NAIA college this fall. The thought has crossed my mind several times about the chances of playing for them, but I dont even know if it would insult the coach if I asked. I'm afraid if I email her she would think I thought so poorly of her program, that I thought a 23 year old mom would be on their level. (hope that makes sense)

In my defense I'm in better shape now than I ever was in high school. I've been running 9-12 miles a week since the winter, and I'm not completely out of the game. I play rec. ball (slowpitch) every chance I get. I know the work ethic is there, and would be willing to work 7 days a week if it would be enough to get me back in the game, but i dont know if I'm crazy or not.

Does anyone have an opinion???

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Maybe you could find out if she offers open tryouts and then, just show up. You wouldn't have to even mention age, marital status, etc.
Go for it.

Apr 6, 2012
I say go for it! I can't imagine a coach having a problem with it. The one thing you don't want to say when you get older is, " I wish I had..." You'll never know till you try!

Jul 22, 2012
Yeah thats how i feel. I just feel dumb even emailing her about tryouts, and i think thats because she will also be teaching one of my classes this fall and I don't want her to think she is going to have this crazy softball stalker in class lol. I'm going to school to get a health and PE degree then hopefully go on to coach high school softball, because I want to be able to relate my experience at a rural school to girls hoping to play in college. I want to teach girls that it doesn't matter where you come from, its ok to dream big and follow those dreams with hard work and dedication. Probably sounding like about a Disney movie in the works right about now lol.

I haven't even mentioned to my husband or my dad who was a huge supporter of softball throughout my career, cause I'm afraid they will think I'm on crack. :rolleyes:

Anyhow I might as well email her and ask if they even have tryouts. I know they are still signing players cause they just signed a girl from a neighboring town. I don't know why I'm so afraid of no. It puts me in the same place as not asking.

Thanks for the suport

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, #1 you are going to have to tell your husband. You don't want to do anything and then, have him say "Hmmm. I don't know how we can fit that in." Start by telling him about your classes and your goals and then, mention the softball team. Good luck.

I have a PE/Health degree and I love coaching.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I don't know why I'm so afraid of no. It puts me in the same place as not asking

I don't think that's true at all.
If she says no, that's on her. If you don't ask, it's all on you. ( and will be for the rest of your life)

You have a unique chance to eliminate a "what if?". It's unique because many of us never even recognized those opportunities when we were younger.
Give it a shot, and keep us posted on what happens

Last edited:
Absolutely give it a shot, the worst thing that can happen is that the coach says "no" and then you are exactly where you are now you have not lost anything and you at least can say you gave it a shot.

Just be up front no need to lay on the sob story just the truth, you played varsity at a rural high went to school and got an associates degree and now after taking a "life break" (getting married and having a kid) you are coming back to school to get your degree and hopefully start coaching at the high school level when you graduate and would like a chance to walk-on and want to know what the process would be.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06