Shipping Home the Bag...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2011
DD and I are flying out of CA right after PGF nationals to meet family on vacation. We are planning on shipping the catcher's bag and most of the gear home (probably will take her glove with us in the luggage) so we don't have to bring it along with us.

For those of you who have shipped a gear bag before, does the UPS of FedEx store have the packaging big enough to box up the equipment or will we need to try to find the materials ourselves? Any tips on shipping gear in this fashion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

happytobeme

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The UPS store usually has boxes that when you put 2 end to end, it'll make a complete package of the bag. The last time we did this, we also bought the brown stuffing paper and used it to secure the bag inside the boxes. It won't help if it gets crushed but it will help against the bag and interior equipment from sliding and causing damage. I also recommend adding a minimum of $300 insurance to the cost. I've heard and seen bats broken during shipping in a bag so I carry the insurance just to be safe. I've never had to use it though.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Not sure they have something big enough but we got a box that fit everything and packing supplies from Home Depot. The packing supplies were pretty cheap but the shipping was expensive. I think we ended up paying around $80.00. The next time we flew I just checked it and took it with us. I recently got one of these for a different project and I am going to try checking it instead of her catchers bag next time. Weatherproof Hard Case with Wheels and Customizable Foam, 33" x 22" x 13" - Monoprice.com Hope this helps.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Glove and uniform stays with us.

Look in golf section for a hard case, it will cost a few bucks for hard shell and shipping.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I know FedEx used to have packaging specifically for shipping golf clubs and probably still do since they sponsor the FedEx Cup. If they can handle a full size golf bag most softball bags would fit.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I know FedEx used to have packaging specifically for shipping golf clubs and probably still do since they sponsor the FedEx Cup. If they can handle a full size golf bag most softball bags would fit.

Great idea! Never thought of this. I'm sure UPS and the USPS have the same thing. Since the USPS is trying to generate revenue and is often cheaper than either, it might behoove you to check that out.

Jun 11, 2013
How are you getting it there? Assuming your are flying you might ask a teammate to take it home with them. You will have a baggage fee, but it's less than it would cost to ship it at the UPS store. Not to mention if you ship it to your home who will pick it up there? You don't want it sitting around for a week. If you do use the UPS store I would bring some tape and newspaper and find a box at Staples or Home depot and pack it up. They will find a box big enough but it will be very expensive if they do all the packing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06