shaved bats in girl's softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
One of the coaches I work with a lot works at a large sporting goods facility. She has people come in all of the time asking to have their bats treated in some way like shaving or rolling. She is always polite and says "Sure can you give me your name?" "What team does your daughter play for?" Then she goes off on them and tells them point blank she's going to let that coach know, and then the same as you that they better hope nobody ever gets hurt playing against them.

Maybe I'm just naive but I was absolutely shocked at how often she said this goes on. Bats these days are so good anyway nobody should need to cheat to begin with.

Mar 11, 2009
I have a co-worker who has a side business with his son cleaning offices, well one of the offices is a bat doctoring place and he said its full of bats and the owner mentioned that alot of fastpitch teams from Cali send their entire rosters bats to get rolled or shaved, I am not saying everyone in California does this so don't kill the messenger, just stating what I was told. Sad but true story.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was surfing looking for any bat sales yesterday. I couldn't believe how many bat doctoring businesses came up in the search, and I was just using words like composite bat, bat sale, etc.
Someone must be using them for them to stay in business. Bats cost so much already, and wear out fast, I couldn't imagine speeding up the break down of one.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have never seen nor heard of someone using a shaved bat around here, thank goodness.

Odds are that there are some. Just because you are not aware of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

NCAA baseball thought the same thing and then last year's championship it was found that nearly 80% of the bats failed testing and though I don't believe they specified cause, some may have been altered via rolling or shaving. The NCAAs reaction was to immediately ban all composite bats since they are the bats which rolling and shaving would affect.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Odds are that there are some. Just because you are not aware of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

NCAA baseball thought the same thing and then last year's championship it was found that nearly 80% of the bats failed testing and though I don't believe they specified cause, some may have been altered via rolling or shaving. The NCAAs reaction was to immediately ban all composite bats since they are the bats which rolling and shaving would affect.

yeah, I really thought my trainer was injecting vitamin c in my butt everyday. Just kidding.

Jan 30, 2010
I also seen this on the slowpitch forum and about craped myself.How bad can you get to go this low to gain an advantage.Get a hitting instructor!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission