Shaved Bats - How big is the market?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
Unfortunately it is a problem in travel ball. In fact it goes on at the 10U level more than you think believe it or not. It's a crying shame, but there are cheaters everywhere! So selfish to put your daughter's fake stats ahead of someone's health and well being.

Want to know how much of a problem it is perceived to be? I was told by So Cal ASA that they are going to have a bat testing machine at Nationals for sure and maybe even states this year for all levels A,B and C.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The other problem is, in this whole issue, are the people that cry about shaved bats whenever a ball is hit hard, gets thru for a hit, goes over the fence. The parents/coaches that dont educate themselves and just read a forum or article and all of a sudden every bat is shaved because they "know" all about them.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I'll bite. How else? Flex hone through the knob is all I can think of, but it wouldn't be a precision cut.

No CB, I dont mean that the endcap never comes off. What I mean is the good ones go in thru the handle, then down and wham bam, endcap pops out with no damage. Never a messed up cap and never any marks. Some even use compressed air on the harder caps to remove and boom, endcap flies out perfectly.

And I love when people tell me they know a bat is shaved by how it weighs...complete tools.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The other problem is, in this whole issue, are the people that cry about shaved bats whenever a ball is hit hard, gets thru for a hit, goes over the fence. The parents/coaches that dont educate themselves and just read a forum or article and all of a sudden every bat is shaved because they "know" all about them.

With their DD's super human defensive skills the ONLY way a ball could possibly go between the wickets would be due to a hot bat. :)

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
No CB, I dont mean that the endcap never comes off. What I mean is the good ones go in thru the handle, then down and wham bam, endcap pops out with no damage. Never a messed up cap and never any marks. Some even use compressed air on the harder caps to remove and boom, endcap flies out perfectly.

And I love when people tell me they know a bat is shaved by how it weighs...complete tools.

Core - how functional is an end cap? Is it possible we will see them done away with, with the inside of the barrel finished like the outside? At least you could mic them that way. Or an end cap that is not solid.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Many Slow pitch leagues here have gone to 'league bats' (i.e. they provide 3 bats for use in games) which must be used by players. That way they don't have to worry about altered bats.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
We who play slowpitch think the compression testing is a joke (some of us anyways).

Wait in a long line for testing that the director at times admits he doesn't really know what hes doing. See guys go around the line and not get caught. Watch guys get testing and take the tested bat back to their trunk and pull out another bat. Protest a bat in game and get criticized for delaying the game and being a whiner by players and at times umpires.

And the guys that get the stickers "handed to them" to put on their own bats because they know someone.

And we have a few guys in our area who actually are celebrities and have bats made with their own names on them. Legit sponsored players. They get paid to hit bombs and NEVER get tested and even laugh about it.

So if its not perfect in slowpitch how bad will Fastpitch mess it up. Plus those testers are expensive Ive been told-directors always saying they "borrowed it" and don't even know how to calibrate it.

End of my rant-Ive seen the same bat pass, fail, and pass again in the same day many times. operator error IMHO but Im no expert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd