Shame on the Big 10 Network

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
I was extremely disappointed that the Big Ten Network chose to air a replay of an Iowa football game yesterday instead of the opening round of the Big Ten Softball Tournament. It would have been bad enough had they picked another live event over softball, but it was really bad when it's an eight year old football game!

I made sure to let them know via Twitter that I was disappointed and watching ESPNU instead. If I were the head coach of a Big Ten school, I would be furious to lose that exposure!

Dec 7, 2011
I think it is representative of the "good-ole-boy" old-moldy thinking on softball in the big 10. Even if they televise a game it's likely to be a Student broadcast where the teen-talking-mouth doesn't know anything about softball in the first place and struggle reading the prepared talking points. I usually turn off the volume on Student broadcasts.

And ya wonder why B10 can't produce quality teams with this level of respect. (ya Michigan-Smichigan!)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes! About 4:00 yesterday I thought surely BTN has softball on too (besides espnu). Nope, tennis!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I WATCHED ESPNU & THE BOSTON COLLEGE GAME...FORGET THE OTHER OHIO ACC CHANNEL'S NAME. I THOUGHT IT HAD BETTER PITCHING, AND SEEN MY FIRST HR W/ 2LEGIT :cool:

Apr 1, 2010
Even if they televise a game it's likely to be a Student broadcast where the teen-talking-mouth doesn't know anything about softball in the first place and struggle reading the prepared talking points. I usually turn off the volume on Student broadcasts.

And ya wonder why B10 can't produce quality teams with this level of respect. (ya Michigan-Smichigan!)

Arg! Exactly. The B10 broadcasts with Garland Cooper are basically ok, but I despise the student broadcasts. Even if they're using students, there must be a girl or two at the school who played softball, mustn't there?

Another thing that drives me crazy is when they can't manage to follow the ball with the camera to see it being caught. What the heck!? It's a big hit and....we'll just have to figure out whether it was caught or not by the reaction of the players we CAN see. Grrrrrr.

Okay, I'm backing away from the keyboard now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06