No Big 10 tournament…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m going to lead this off by saying I’m a mask wearer, pretty much a rule follower and I have deferred to the opinions of the health officials because there is pretty much no way that their best guesses are worse than my best guesses. I say that to prevent the inevitable covid bumper sticker slogan arguments that can be found anywhere on Facebook. Not looking for that bs.

But…

I was poking around checking on some players I know and realized the Big 10 isn’t having a conference tournament.

How could they screw this up so bad? What is it that other conferences are doing so well that they can travel all over the place and have college softball? The Missouri Valley Conference is more on top of this than the Big10? Did the B10 not put any effort into adjusting to current conditions on the ground, giving some effort toward making this work?

Seriously, what is different in the Big 10? If I'm being obtuse about this, if I’m not aware of facts that prevented this from happening, hit me with them and I’ll defer to better judgement…

Also, if it isn’t safe for them to have a conference tournament, how in the world can they host regionals or super regionals? I don’t know, but I bet Michigan would like to host a regional, why should a team that busted their butts to get through this spring have to go there?

Here is a list of conferences having/not having tournaments:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Here in New Jersey, we have, in the space of a month, gone from a situation where it took some effort to get a vaccine appointment to a situation where some mass vaccination centers are closing. There are some outreach programs to reach underserved areas, but I would say that anybody in the softball world who wants to be vaccinated has had ample time to get vaccinated. I imagine other states are in a similar situation. That being the case, I don't quite understand why the Big 10 wouldn't be having tournament. Was there an official explanation?

Feb 22, 2021
I agree. It is utter bs. We messed up the football season too. I share your viewpoints as being a rule follower and listening to medical "experts". But the fact that other conferences/states/regions have figured this out and the midwest is still playing scared, infuriates me. I think it is mainly because of the impact that OSU/Michigan has on the conference.

Dec 11, 2010
As far as an explanation- not that I’m aware of.

Same situation with vaccinations here in my Midwestern state. I got it early due to my job but pretty much everyone I know is fully vaccinated now. My dd player is fully vaccinated.

Heck I’ve been going into stadiums for weeks now where we are allowed to unmask after being seated. Outdoors/well ventilated etc, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I agree. It is utter bs. We messed up the football season too. I share your viewpoints as being a rule follower and listening to medical "experts". But the fact that other conferences/states/regions have figured this out and the midwest is still playing scared, infuriates me. I think it is mainly because of the impact that OSU/Michigan has on the conference.

Several sites listed that have no conference tournament.

I don’t know how I feel about that. Seems like they have not proven they know how to do this right.

It also sucks that those kids didn’t have a conference tournament and here I am saying maybe they shouldn’t host a regional.….

Jun 11, 2012
Here in New Jersey, we have, in the space of a month, gone from a situation where it took some effort to get a vaccine appointment to a situation where some mass vaccination centers are closing. There are some outreach programs to reach underserved areas, but I would say that anybody in the softball world who wants to be vaccinated has had ample time to get vaccinated. I imagine other states are in a similar situation. That being the case, I don't quite understand why the Big 10 wouldn't be having tournament. Was there an official explanation?
Same here in MA. CVS is now doing walk in appointments at most stores too.

Dec 11, 2010
Have also had a ton of conversations with DFP members and friends who were not allowed to go watch their kids play softball at all.

Its easy to forget that someone always has a worse situation. I apologize to those who are reading this who couldn’t go watch their kids at all.

I guess we are all finding our way through this mess. I’m glad to see light at the end of tunnel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478