Shame file: Inserted myself into game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Sunday, 9am elimination game. ASA Nationals berth at stake. Tight game. 2-2 in the top of the 6th, with no runs having been scored by either team since the 2nd. #6 batter in opposing team's lineup hits a shot into the gap in right center. She's got great speed, so it looks like a standup triple all the way. As the ball reaches the cutoff, she's approaching 3B already and coach is sending her.

DD obstructed her approach to 3B. It was subtle, but it was obvious (at least to me), and the umpire's fist went out immediately. The throw reached the catcher about halfway up the line where the runner was unable to avoid the tag for the 3rd out. High-fives and fist pumps as the defense leaves the field.

Not so fast, girls.

Offensive team fans and coaches are shouting, and then when PU sees the obstruction signal, he says - clearly - "No out, the run scores!" Cheers from the other side.

Again, not so fast.

For a few seconds, I couldn't figure out why our coaches were conceding the run. If not for the OBS, the runner had NO chance of scoring on that hit. So I shouted to the dugout that she should only be entitled to 3B. Appeal the PU's call immediately! So, they did ask the PU to confer with the BU and the BU said that the runner had no chance to score without the OBS and placed her back on 3B. Several of the other team's fans are upset, because they were of the opinion that the runner gets base plus 1 more, but that's not the rule. Taking that run off the board was huge, as the defense was able to retire the next batter to end the inning.

I know opinions will vary on whether my action was proper, but in the moment, it was my opinion that they had to get that call right or at the very least have a conversation about it.

Unfortunately, what I did pales in comparison to the drama which unfolded outside the lines in the bottom of the 7th inning. :(

Feb 19, 2012
West US
You didn't jump on the PU, you directed your comment to the dugout/coaches who took appropriate action. Some parents provide useless input, you provided what I perceive to be the correct translation of OBS rule and informed the coach immediately. Sure, yelling it maybe wasn't what you intend to do often, but you had only a small window before next play started.

Care to share the real drama?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If a coach expects/requires their players to give him/her their best effort, how can a coach justify not reading the rule book before the season???

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
If a coach expects/requires their players to give him/her their best effort, how can a coach justify not reading the rule book before the season???

Are you a coach? If so, do you have every single rule in the book memorized from cover to cover?

@Momo's Dad, I think you did the right thing. I'm with Jr10234 and want to know what the real drama was!

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Sunday, 9am elimination game. ASA Nationals berth at stake. Tight game. 2-2 in the top of the 6th, with no runs having been scored by either team since the 2nd. #6 batter in opposing team's lineup hits a shot into the gap in right center. She's got great speed, so it looks like a standup triple all the way. As the ball reaches the cutoff, she's approaching 3B already and coach is sending her.

DD obstructed her approach to 3B. It was subtle, but it was obvious (at least to me), and the umpire's fist went out immediately. The throw reached the catcher about halfway up the line where the runner was unable to avoid the tag for the 3rd out. High-fives and fist pumps as the defense leaves the field.

Not so fast, girls.

Offensive team fans and coaches are shouting, and then when PU sees the obstruction signal, he says - clearly - "No out, the run scores!" Cheers from the other side.

Again, not so fast.

For a few seconds, I couldn't figure out why our coaches were conceding the run. If not for the OBS, the runner had NO chance of scoring on that hit. So I shouted to the dugout that she should only be entitled to 3B. Appeal the PU's call immediately! So, they did ask the PU to confer with the BU and the BU said that the runner had no chance to score without the OBS and placed her back on 3B. Several of the other team's fans are upset, because they were of the opinion that the runner gets base plus 1 more, but that's not the rule. Taking that run off the board was huge, as the defense was able to retire the next batter to end the inning.

I know opinions will vary on whether my action was proper, but in the moment, it was my opinion that they had to get that call right or at the very least have a conversation about it.

Unfortunately, what I did pales in comparison to the drama which unfolded outside the lines in the bottom of the 7th inning. :(

Shame on the umpire for assuming the runner would have scored without getting all the info from his partner - and in a tournament with National championship berth implications.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Are you a coach? If so, do you have every single rule in the book memorized from cover to cover

Ummm, I think you picked the wrong guy to criticize. There are a lot of members on here that have coached for years and know the rules well, especially OBS. Crazy might be a very good description.

As a parent you direct your comment to your coach who could do whatever he wanted to with your advice...no problems that I can see...but yeah you can't leave us hanging like that at least the cliff notes version....and of course did you guy end up qualifying?

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks, everyone. I often spend time during the games giving quick explanations of various rulings to the parents seated with me down the sideline but about half the time, I'll set up where I can quietly observe the strike zone. Yesterday, however, I was a total busybody, doing it all. ;)

Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 7th with 7-8-9 due up in our order, one of the assistants in our dugout began taking the signs and calling inside/outside pitch location. I don't think our batters really knew what was going on, but it did irritate the other team's parents who began taunting him for it. First batter of the inning ended up reaching on dropped 3rd. #8 batter struck out looking. Passed ball to #9 allowed R1 to get to 2B. #9 hits hard grounder to 2B that gets behind her allowing BR to reach 1B safely. 1st & 3rd, 1 out, back to the top of the order.

Leadoff has been killing everyone all weekend, and in that situation, even if she'd been 0-for-everything, they have to walk her. They concede 2B on 1st pitch. I think everyone knows they're going to walk her by giving her nothing to hit (although she does check swing at the 2-0 pitch), but the coach (her dad) is still calling location.

Things had been getting chippy over there for a while, then "Are you really trying to get into the head of a 10 year old??!!" yelled the pitcher mom from the other side. And it just escalated from there. One of the parents from our bleacher section yelled back that she should calm down and she said that she was old enough to stick up for her daughter. She wasn't alone, but was definitely leading the charge. #2 ended up drawing a full count walk on 8 pitches. Ball game.

Sadly, as the teams exchanged high-fives at home plate, the parent in question kept going, only now the girls were paying attention. It was a disappointing scene. Our dugout coach was wrong, but the parent made it far worse.

Both teams played an excellent game. I would say it was one of the most exciting games of the year in our area. The pitchers were on. The defenses made plays. The parents didn't decide the game, but it's my opinion that a few were involved in trying to take the game from the girls. That's the part I disliked the most.

The better team did win, so we'll have a parent meeting this week to decide whether we'll go to Nationals.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Are you a coach? If so, do you have every single rule in the book memorized from cover to cover?

When I did coach, I damn well made sure I had a copy of the current version of the applicable rulebook(s) and had read it cover to cover. How can you teach your players to be responsible and accountable if you are not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie