Setting up a 6 team tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Our league runs a tournament every year with a 3 game seed round followed by a single elimination tournament. Setting it up in groups of four teams is easy since each team plays the other teams in its pool once and then standings can be gathered for seeding of the tournament.

Is there a good way of setting this up with 6 teams in the pool? Should I just set it up so that each team plays *most* of the other teams once and then seed the elimination part of the tournament? Is there another method that is 'standard'?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
was planning on just a single pool.

Tournament format (as handed down by the board) can only be a 4 game minimum. Works ideal with a 4 team pool, but not so great with a 6 team pool.

Seems like a pretty arbitrary decision by the board. Have them come up with the format then.
With 6 teams, best I can see is the round robin ( 5 game min), a 3-game guarantee, or double-elimination

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Use 2 pools of three, then the teams play all 3 teams in the other pool. That way all games are against like opponents, then seed from there. Seeding would be record, runs allowed, then runs scored as there would be no head to head play in pool. You'll get 3 pool games then can go into single elimination.

May 17, 2012
With 6 teams you can go with a 3 game guarantee/elimination or a round robin as others suggested. There is no good way to do it any other way.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Use 2 pools of three, then the teams play all 3 teams in the other pool. That way all games are against like opponents, then seed from there. Seeding would be record, runs allowed, then runs scored as there would be no head to head play in pool. You'll get 3 pool games then can go into single elimination.

OK...this makes sense to me. I think I'll set it up in this format.

Thank you very much.

Really cool way to do it I really like it.

We played a tournament last weekend 5 teams in the pool but only played 3 games, then winners in pool played for championship was OK but not quite even since each team did not play one team in their pool but was only a one day so no real options for more games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie