Sept. 1st is approaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
You see a lot of kids verbally committing to D3 schools in the 8th grade?
The cycle of recruitment has definitely changed. Will say in few recent years see more recruits accepting spots at non D1 schools earlier in their high school years then when previously they were accepting spots in their senior year.
When D3's were more likely to wait till senior year gpa's to offer spots.

Perhaps this has been an advent from the 5th Year senior situation in D1 division. 🤷‍♀️
And perhaps the transfer portal thingy do.

May 13, 2023
Also have noticed at certain junior colleges now that Junior College are free and the combination of the 5th Year D1 debacle seeing some strong Talent taking advantage of Hometown Junior College's perhaps waiting for this to blow over to get into a 4-year.

May 27, 2013
The cycle of recruitment has definitely changed. Will say in few recent years see more recruits accepting spots at non D1 schools earlier in their high school years then when previously they were accepting spots in their senior year.

Perhaps this has been an advent from the 5th Year senior situation in D1 division. 🤷‍♀️

Huh - IME D3’s typically wait until after the D1’s get their recruits because that’s when they might be able to get a few highly desirable players who didn’t get the call they wanted or expected.

The high academic schools (MIT, Swat, NESCAC’s, etc,) have a much later recruiting timeline and you will not see players committing until at least August before their senior year when academic prereads can be done.

That being said, the earliest I’ve seen D3 commits was during their junior year - usually during the winter.

Not saying some D3’s aren’t getting recruits to commit earlier but it’s typically not the norm.

May 27, 2013
As you noted recognizing d3s are recruiting juniors to that point Junior year has become more normal recent years. Where previously a lot of colleges were waiting until senior year to see longer-term gpa's.

What i am sharing is from recent results of these past few years. Accumulated feedback of players and time frame of recruitment.
This is the reason I specifically said

Offered particular reason could be directly because of fifth year D1 senior debacle.
Got it. I just don’t want anyone who has a dd waiting out for a high academic D3 to become discouraged because they will not and are still not making “offers” (in quotes because as we know it’s all a handshake deal with D3s) before August of the recruit’s senior year. They follow a completely different process than the rest.

Jun 8, 2016

My point was the issue was with D1 not D3. If I remember correctly you don’t like the rule, is that correct?

May 13, 2023
My point was the issue was with D1 not D3. If I remember correctly you don’t like the rule, is that correct?
Incorrect. Rules are what they are they apply to most everybody LOL
Best to be flexible to how they change.
No system is perfect nor will it be.

Jun 8, 2016
Incorrect. Rules are what they are they apply to most everybody LOL
Best to be flexible to how they change.
No system is perfect nor will it be.
So you like when they removed the early recruiting. I could have swore you were complaining about it another thread.

May 13, 2023
So you like when they removed the early recruiting. I could have swore you were complaining about it another thread.
No complaining about it. Things change. Can have a discussion about how the changes affect things. It is part of paying attention. Is not complaining.

May 13, 2023
So you like when they removed the early recruiting.
Do you think because of rules has stopped college recruitment of the top younger players and those conversations of interest?

I dont think it has stopped. They're may be a few words they do not use but the conversations are still being had.

And now that is happening with players transferring from college to college. Imagine before the portal comes the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24