Selecting New Bat for 14YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
My 14YO plays HS JV (just called up to varsity), 14U travel, and rec. We're looking for her first composite bat. She currently uses an alloy 30/18.5. She is 5'4", 105 lbs - she is likely finished growing. She is a contact hitter, will never be a power hitter (bats 2nd on JV, lead-off on travel).

One coach recommended some composites, and suggested she use a 32/22. Would like to hear the thoughts of others.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have always been a fan of Easton composites, however, I've been wary of the two piece ones (such as the Stealth) because I've heard too many stories of them snapping in half. A lot of the girls are going to Demarini bats, I think they hit well enough. It is simply a matter of personal preference. Surely there are girls on her teams that have nice composite bats that she could try to see what she likes.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The Demarini CF4, is the hottest bat that I have seen recently. The handle seems small.

I am actually kinda of scared of pitching to girls that are using it, because one nailed me in the face mask last week.

Jan 30, 2010
I like the combat virus or the new Xend from Louisville Slugger.Go to Batwarehouse.com and the reviews on the bats you are looking at.
My DD is 12 @5'-2" and 105lbs and she does well with a 31-21 or 31-20

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Demarini, watch college softball! Will never buy an Easton product or test it. Reasons have been stated on this site many times.

As the owner of 4 Easton bats, I'm becoming even more wary of them... girl had the original (I think) Stealth. Silver and yellow one. Snapped in half today at practice. That being said, she's had it a long time. Things break. I would have felt worse if it was a newer bat.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would definately get a CF4 if my dd were 14.

I know it is preferance, but 30/18.5 seem really small and light for a 14yr. My 10yr swing a 31/19 miken halo light and a 31/19.5 easton synergy. She broke a combat virus last year. Most of my 10u travel girls are swinging bats in the 19-20 oz. With one that uses a 22oz CF4.

I have never seen an Easton break, but people sure talk about it happening a lot.

Oct 21, 2009
We have a 07 synergy we used for 3 years and were happy with it. We got a 2008 Stealth (-9 black and purple) and it broke in less than 1 year. Easton sent a replacement 2008 Stealth (-10 white and purple) and it has been great for 2 years. My daughter is 15, 5'4" about 110 lbs and swings a 33/23 and the ball jumps off that bat. I think the 2008 Stealth bats are hotter than todays bats. I believe the old black and purple were all defective. I don't see any of those around any more but still see the old purple and white ones. Even with the history I like the Stealth bats. I have also heard good things about teh CF4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00