Bat Weight Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
I have a question about bat weight. My DD plays 12u (starting 2nd year) and currently uses a 2018 Easton Stealth Flex 31/21. Got a great deal on it so I bought a second Flex in 32/22, this bat is still new in wrapper. At the time I didn't think that a bat could or would make much of a difference. Thought it was more a strength and technique thing to hitting. Also didn't want to spend a lot on a bat she would outgrow quickly. A couple girls on her team bought some Ghosts and the bat made big difference it their hitting. The ball just jumped off their bats. My DD is a good hitter and I am thinking the newer bat tech would provide better pop then the Flex. I would like to get a better bat (Ghost or PC) and save the Flex for practice. If I got a Ghost I would look at the 32/22. If I look at a PC would I go 32/23 to keep bat as close to equal as possible? Or would having a slight difference weight in bats not impact her swing.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Its not a mistake, you go cheap and the bat normally isn't as good. The Flex is not as good as a Ghost.
Just like other Brands, a cheaper LS isn't gonna be as good as an LXT, a cheaper model Demarini, wont be as good
as the CF line.

The Stealth Flex gives you a great bat to BP and beat the hell out of...but it wont hit with the top bat lines out there. Plus,
it takes ten thousand swings...haha

Easy, Figure an ounce over on the Ghost...PC is much closer

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Our school and travel team equipment guy said he couldn't give Flex bats away! I've never swung, or even held one before. On the flip side, he said he couldn't keep the Stealth Retro in stock when they where out, he said he could sell all he could get his hands on! Doesn't matter.......it's a Ghost world now!

Apr 28, 2019
I have a question about bat weight. My DD plays 12u (starting 2nd year) and currently uses a 2018 Easton Stealth Flex 31/21. Got a great deal on it so I bought a second Flex in 32/22, this bat is still new in wrapper. At the time I didn't think that a bat could or would make much of a difference. Thought it was more a strength and technique thing to hitting. Also didn't want to spend a lot on a bat she would outgrow quickly. A couple girls on her team bought some Ghosts and the bat made big difference it their hitting. The ball just jumped off their bats. My DD is a good hitter and I am thinking the newer bat tech would provide better pop then the Flex. I would like to get a better bat (Ghost or PC) and save the Flex for practice. If I got a Ghost I would look at the 32/22. If I look at a PC would I go 32/23 to keep bat as close to equal as possible? Or would having a slight difference weight in bats not impact her swing.
Go with the Ghost. I’ve seen nothing but positive results both in reviews and on the field. We have the 2017 & 2018 Stealth Flex. The 17 is a better bat. The 18 has a nice big barrel and is a decent bat. Good BP bat like you said. It’s not in the same class as the Ghost and high end Sluggers & Demarini’s.
I know the 18/19 Ghost prices have finally dropped to sub $200 levels on many websites which is nice. Just keep in mind they are endloaded and more for your 3-6 power hitters in batting order. If your daughter is top or bottom of the order hitter it may not be the bat for her.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Our school and travel team equipment guy said he couldn't give Flex bats away! I've never swung, or even held one before. On the flip side, he said he couldn't keep the Stealth Retro in stock when they where out, he said he could sell all he could get his hands on! Doesn't matter.......it's a Ghost world now!

The Retro wasn't much diff than the Flex...you know what was diff? The name...haha. Sometimes that's all it takes. Although
I couldn't give the Retro bats away either...just like the Flex

May 12, 2016
I always thought the Ghost was heavier than the PC as well.. however that's not what the Bat weight DB says

Ghost 32/22 ASA (2018)............ AW 22.3 - 22.9 oz
F20-PWR CRBN 32/22 (2020)... AW 22.8 - 23.2 oz

Also moving from a 31/21 to 32/23 seems pretty heavy to me for 12u.. of course all girls are different

Dec 11, 2010
Also moving from a 31/21 to 32/23 seems pretty heavy to me for 12u.. of course all girls are different

Was thinking the same thing about size.

You would probably not go wrong with a 31 Ghost at that age. I have seen going one bat size too big really set kids back long term.

If you measure the width of her shoulders and multiply by two that will get you very close on a starting bat size. Adjust from there. Both my dd’s are/were strong hitters and neither was swinging longer than 31 at that age and neither dd ever swung anything longer than a 33 in high school or college.

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks all for the input. Going to see what I can do to get a good bat in her hands and let her do the rest. Will hold on to the flex for BP. If I could figure out how to post a video I will drop her swing in and see what we can work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23