Select teams and practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2014
Ross Ohio
Coachs generaly how many practices a week do you have? My daughter has played with her team since late May and they only have 1 practice a week. I think we have alot talented girls but this is the first year that they've together and I just think they need to practice together more.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What are the goals for the team?

We are putting together a 10U select team for the first time, and are planning on 1 team practice and 1 hitting session per week, with weekend games or tournaments as we can find them. For Fall, our team will become part of another local league, and play double-headers on weekends. Our goal is continuing the development of our all-star caliber players at a level that they won't get in our league's Fall Ball program, and getting them ready to play to the best of their ability next Spring and the following all-star season. Going full-tilt with multiple team practices every week is too intense at this point in the schedule (IMO).

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Coachs generaly how many practices a week do you have? My daughter has played with her team since late May and they only have 1 practice a week. I think we have alot talented girls but this is the first year that they've together and I just think they need to practice together more.

It depends on the age, time of year, your goals and where your players live.

Some top teams accumulate talent from various states and only practice once per week (or so).

A team of locals may practice 3X a week or more.

A 10U may practice more often than an 18U many times substantially more often.

What is the make up of your team?

Jun 24, 2013
It really depends on what your Team is doing and your goals. With a heavy weekend schedule 1 practice a week in not uncommon. It is expected that the players are practicing on their own outside of practice with lessons or what not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wow. I am surprised to hear the one night a week thing. It is 3 days minimum here, even at 10U. I suppose they "might" give you a day off, after a tournament that you had to drive to.

Jan 24, 2011
I have a 16u team and we go once a week and tournaments on weekends. They are expected to do additional hitting/pitching on their own. If they don't , it will show fairly quickly

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Our 10U team practiced 2X per week as a team. Each individual had hitting practice 1X per week and the pitchers and catchers better be pitching and catching on their own multiple times each week.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are 10u and typically practice 2x a week. One weeknight and Sunday afternoon. Our girls are expected to work on their.own and it shows who.does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes