Second year 10u pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2012
I have two pitchers who are throwing about 35-40. They are working on hitting there spots. I would say 80% they do. I just started teaching them a change up. My question is: should I develop them on other pitches yet or just get there fastballs and change up s developed?

Also I am working with my DD who catches on calling pitches. I was thinking I would keep it simple, insides and outside fastballs and change UPS. Advice welcome.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like your plan of spots and CU for now.

Good to hear you are getting the C involved too.

No advice, I am just supporting what you are currently doing.

May 17, 2012
Hitting spots is overrated at an early age. If they are hitting their spots 90% of the time I would stress mechanics and velocity. A fastball and change-up will get them through 12U. I have never lost a game as a result of a pitcher not hitting a spot. I have lost games when a pitcher couldn't throw a strike when they needed too.

Also as second year 10U pitcher I would start moving them back to 40ft but I would be careful switching between ball sizes. Certain pitchers can't go back and forth between sizes. For others it's not a big deal.

Good luck.

Whether or not to develop other pitches is going to be something decided individually and depends on their progress, the ability to hit spots and throw a good change up will get you very far in 10U.

Getting the catcher involved is great but it is a lot of work for a 10yr old. Can she notice a hitter stepping in the bucket and call an outside pitch, call an inside pitch on someone crowding the plate, call the change after a girl has fouled off 2 or 3 pitches in a row and vary it so it is not predictable, notice weaker girls and just throw strikes, pitch around the girl who hit two triples to the gap and is up with runners on and understand the game situation when maybe she can't and have to go after her and remember the pitch location of those triples.

Anyway you get the idea I would suggest especially since it sounds like you are a coach work out a system were she checks with you maybe calls part of the inning herself or checks with you if she is not sure then debrief after each inning when things a fresh in her mind.

Honestly I find this the hardest thing do to at this age (or any age really) is have them become students of the game. Pitchers probably do out of necessity, if I keep throwing that girl that same pitch she is going to keep hitting it or an inside high pitch is harder for slapper to handle unless the slapper is cheating early on her break to first then she does not have outside plate coverage, etc. but as a batterymate if the catcher is also going through the same thought process this is when they have the greatest chance of success.

May 31, 2012
I would work speed, Proper mechanics and internal rotation. If she can hit the glove 8 out of 10 times in a given spot that's amazing. If you really want to test accuracy put a 12" ball on a tee knee high inside corner and see how often she can hit it. Move it in/out and high/low. After she masters the change up add a new pitch but Speed dominates 10u. At 35-40 mph I'm not sure you could get much movement on a breaking pitch anyways.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not a pitching coach, but when my DD was learning to pitch, her pitching coach would not let her move to a new pitch until she had mastered the ones she was currently learning. One they have mastered a fastball, move to the change up, one they master the CU you can move on to another pitch.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
At this age just keep it simple.
Focus on mechanics and the speed and location will come. If they're hitting their spots 80% of the time now... Your golden! Mix in a change up every so often to keep the batters off balance. Wait until they're mechanics are perfect before you introduce anything new.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619