screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
The screwball is thrown three different ways, and it was the last one to gain popularity, so hard to find resources. If you search for Jenny Finch's, she throws it like a peel drop but with the hand turned sideways.

Other pitchers twist it out from the body like a doorknob. Still others use a bullet-type spin off the first finger. Hard to find consistent approaches.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Screwball is my dd's bread and butter pitch.........so I like it alot!!!! :)

We use a weird grip ( kinda a hybrid, a bullet spin off the middle finger ) that doesn't work for other girls we have worked with. But she is a crazy lefty so that might be why it's doing so well for her. Remember her screw breaks away from a RT batter.

Michelle Smith has a good DVD on the screwball. Wish I could remember the name but it's been several years since I've watched it. Her DVD has the mirror technology so it's also good for a righty. Might be on youtube.

I'll see if I can find it.

I agree with Mr Screwball, hard to find consistent approaches. It's one of those pitches that you either get or don't. Because unless it's REALLY breaking hard...........it will get hammered.

Another crazy thing is dd's screw is faster than her fastball. I never have figured that part out.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Really it is getting the ball to spin the correct direction. You can also have a screwball drop and rise.... So there are many grips, and I know a few of my pitchers use the Jennie Finch method described above....

You have to find which one works well for your DD.... There is a risk of injury if done incorrectly, very important to keep the arm close to the body, and remember the fingers still are needed to create the tight spin, it is not just turning the wrist....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877