Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Because after the last frame shown the catcher is sweeping the ball to give the appearance that it moved.

You have fallen hook-line-and-sinker for the nonsense that was verbalized in the Tincher youtube demonstration. I don’t know about others, but it had me laughing when he spoke of the pitcher targeting the right knee of the catcher (outside area of the plate) because the pitch had so much “movement”. That's why I asked, if the pitch had that much movement, then why the need to step to the leftmost portion of the pitching lane? The answer is because what Tincher is really teaching here is an angled pitch. The catcher is in on the hoax ... and is trying to make it appear that the pitch is moving.
Why don't you extend the tracer so we can see the catcher framing the pitch?

Jan 27, 2010
FFS, the post #23 & 24 are not good screwball mechanics and both pitchers are pitching illegal.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, the post #23 & 24 are not good screwball mechanics and both pitchers are pitching illegal.

From memory, the pitcher in post #24 was challenged during the game for stepping outside of the pitching lane.

The opposing team considered it an advantage and complained. IMO the pitcher seemed to think it gave her an advantage as well, and stressed the limits of what the umpires would call 'illegal'.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with an angled pitch ... in this case both teams saw it as advantageous from the perspective of the pitcher.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Why don't you extend the tracer so we can see the catcher framing the pitch?

Understand that in each frame of video, you capture a blur which represents the beginning and end of the where the ball is located during the frame. The tracer for that last frame was placed at the beginning of the blur, ... at the end of that frame the ball is technically in the glove. The movement you seem to be focused on, is the movement induced by the catcher ... after the ball has traveled through the strike zone.

Jan 27, 2010
BM, it is apparent I will not convince you and you will not convince me. I'm ready to move on if you are, but I will respond to any future post directed towards me. The choice is yours whether you wish to continue.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Where in the world is the pitch f/x data for fastpitch? I know I saw it last year 2011, but I can't find what I saw last year anywhere on the web. It gave good data comparing the movement vs break of most all pitches and seemed like screws were involved.

Jan 27, 2010
Understand that in each frame of video, you capture a blur which represents the beginning and end of the where the ball is located during the frame. The tracer for that last frame was placed at the beginning of the blur, ... at the end of that frame the ball is technically in the glove. The movement you seem to be focused on, is the movement induced by the catcher ... after the ball has traveled through the strike zone.

How can you tell when the ball has traveled through the strike zone from behind the pitcher? Just curious how you made that determination. I believe if you look closely,the catchers' mitt is not even open when the tracer stops and then the mitt opens.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Great topic. Since my dd is playing up on a 12u team as a catcher, there is a young lady who is throwing a screwball. Dd is intrigued by it(I think she likes the name), but say the pitch doesn't look like it moves. She says it looks like a fastball coming to her on an angle(these are the words of a 9 year old so take them for what they are worth). She wants to learn how to throw it, but i've told her we will wait a couple more years and continue to work on her fb(which is pretty accurate) and cu.
My question is this,what is the point of the leap to the left? I noticed the girl pitching on the mat(from head on) doesn't take that much of a step to the left. Is that part of the pitch, to make it look like the ball is headed outside(right handed batter) Or do you still want to stay close to your powerline?

Jul 26, 2010
The point of the leap left is the smoke and mirrors tied to the screwball. Make the batter think an outside pitch is coming, but hit the inside corner. The batter will usually either take the pitch for a strike (assuming the umpire is liberal on the inside, because they're fooled just as much as the batter), or the batter will reach a bit and hit into an easy out or foul off the handle of the bat.

I do believe that screwballs, when the proper spin is imparted on the ball, do drift or curve a bit. The good ones are not thrown straight, however, they do not "break", where a "break" defines late or sudden movement. Hell, anyone who has ever stood on a field with softball players and caught balls during infield practice knows that ball that travels straight is more of a rarity the a ball that curves or drifts ;)

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy