Screwball Spin vs Fastball Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Here is an old one... 2yrs ago... DD was getting ready for 7th Grade MS Tryouts..,

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/STK/SCDR.mp4" />
</video>

If you are on a computer, expand (bottom right corner) you can see the tape.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thx... 3-9 & she throws the same... on left or right

Yep first thing we learned from Edy's post, was it didn't have to be fast. So it is an off speed pitch, and to be used @ different speeds.

If your looking for exsamples, Check out this years NPF ChamiopnShips. ST throws very similar to DD, except she can't bend it back @ Lefty's like DD :cool: If you seen the final, you would see 5+ 70mph pitchers setting the bench... ST threw the last pitch of that game :{))

<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Pitching/Timed%20P%26S_HB.mp4" />
</video>

It has been my experience that pitchers that throw significantly slower are effective one time through the batting order. If they come around again good hitters make the adjustment.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It has been my experience that pitchers that throw significantly slower are effective one time through the batting order. If they come around again good hitters make the adjustment.

In the case of those with exceptional command I have found that they can be successful multiple times through the order. Failing that type of command where they only rely on disruption the timing with low velocity, I agree that they do tend to get hammered on the second look.

Sep 29, 2014
I think everyone gets hung up on labels and exact rotations etc.

As another poster said: Does it move (any direction) and can you put it where you want it, are the only things that really matter.

Let the girls understand the basic mechanics of spin, how it works and how to achieve it, then let them start trying different things if the spin is off by five degrees or so does it matter if the pitch is still doing what you want it to? Then have her put a little more or less spin and see what happens and how it effects the ball, keep adjusting until the ball does what it's supposed to and the girl feels comfortable.

The most important thing is that she understands what she can and can't do and how she needs to adjust depending on batters to what she is doing. Nothing is more detrimental to a pitcher than having a coach calling pitches that your pitcher does not have command of at the time, sometimes it's weather, altitude or just something slightly off or it's her #4 pitch and she is not comfortable throwing that pitch to the clean up hitter with the game on the line.

I remember pitching baseballs and it was all just a matter of trying different grips and using a little different pressure or spin and then just finding what worked best for you...and can't imagine it is much different in fastpitch. I did learn to fastpitch BP to my 12U team but it was just get em over strikes so I never experimented much with spins, please let me know if I'm off base.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Could be ... only know about us??? We only get 3 out per inning LOL...

DD moved up 2yrs. this year... was happy to be #3 pitcher on the Classist team she had been on so far. At the private tryout, we were told flat out the other 2 were 10mph faster, 2 years older. Coach said nobody is good enough to move up 2yrs. but since she was going into HS, he made a spot for her. Told her she would pitch every tourney except the first one...... yad yada yayadada

First game of first tourney, 6-0. Wanted to save #2 for next game...puts DD in... (State qualifier) does real good !!! Moved to #2... lead the team in batting average with a .449... Comes to next Practice that week, and wants her to pitch to team... found out none of them could hit her....

Long story short... She would come in 3rd inning, no one got to see her twice :cool:

I'll tell this one since there was a DFP member there.

World Series Berliner... First game, first inning...lead off, and 2nd batter's hits back to back solo HR's off #1. Coach wanted to be there on Sunday, so he puts DD right in... She pitched 6 2/3 innings of Shut-Out... we win, She gets MVP. Longest game DD pitched, and in this case she didn't get hammered... She never gave up any HR's either all year.

I never post any of DD's fastballs, because I was taught there is no such thing as a fast ball... LOL...Here is a State Tourney... DD comes in... This player hit a OTFHR first time up. In stead of throwing one so slow that a real hitter, with game changer stats on the line, will just look @ and DD usually gets strike one... and is ahead in the count...

Makes for a long Clip... I left all the stupid pre-motion on the batter... LOL

<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Resent/Speed_HB.mp4" />
</video>

No Junk....Must have been salty about the OTFHR off her buddy... :{))

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Just wondering how I went from spin to speed ??? OK I see... Screwball Spin vs.FastBall Spin LOL

For me it is Spot~Spin~Speed... in that order. We seen ALL the other approaches, she even wore lotz of them ...starting @ 8yrs. old... thru up, then Laughed & stuck with this one. :cool:

ScrewBall Spin will get you lotz of foul balls...Good Strikes, unless your dealing with a crapper... LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi